Filling the Gas Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icegoat63, Jul 7, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I thought about putting this in Auto's but meh thats kinda dumb. So instead I'll just stick it here.

For those of you who drive, When do you fill up your gas tanks?

Do you wait until its empty? Do you fill it up in small intervals (ie: quarter tank, half tank, etc.)? When do you usually start getting that nagging feeling that its time to fill the tank up?

2. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I never did get why people did it a little at a time...well, I did it that way when I was younger and had to mooch. lol

I fill my tank all the way, and I normally wait somewhere between quarter tank and gas warning light indicator.

Unless I'm going on a road trip to visit my family. They live out in the country and I don't want to risk running out of gas for the miles and miles in-between towns.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

oh I know I always laugh when I pull up to a gas pump and theres some oddball denomination on the screen like 2.3 gallons for 6.75 :hah: its like wait wut? lol

But yeah, usually when I fill up I'm just under the 1/4 tank left. I absolutely hate going 'till the warning light comes on mostly 'cause I'm super scared of running out of gas on the freeway or something and having to leave my truck there then coming back to see it have like 14 parking tickets attached to the window.

Lately I've been trying to fill up around a half tank, that way it at the very least seems like less of an impact on my account... I have a 24 gallon tank, so usually when I fill it up full I'm looking at around 65-70 bucks, so if I catch it earlier its usually only 20-30 which is alot easier on my eyes :hah:

4. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I fill up when the fuel light comes on. I'm really bad for putting off filling up, although i'm yet to run out completely. I never fill my tank all the way, usually i'll just go to say $40, and see where that gets me.

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

It doesn't bother me to wait until the warning light comes on. I only work 5 miles from home, and there's probably 6 gas stations on my way.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

When it's a quarter tank that's when I go fill up to about three quarters. I hardly, if ever, fill it up to full.

I don't like to wait until it's too low since I get antsy and paranoid about it.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I let mine empty all the way down to red before I fill it up. It's because I don't use my car every single day, and it takes quite a while to drain. So the longer I leave it, the more chance my mum will need to borrow my car at some random point and then top it up for me. I think she's done that the last 2/3 times it's needed filling up, oops.

8. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

I drive A LOT (about 75K miles per year), and I never know where I'm going to be headed next, or when, or if there are any decent gas stations along the way, or any at all.
    So when my guage dips below 1/4, I start looking for a station with a decent ppg posted. There are some stations I always shy away from because I know they'll always be the highest. There are times though that if my gas warning light comes on, and I know it's just a few miles to one of my preferred stations, I'll just keep driving. When I do stop, it's always to fill the tank. I don't buy just small amounts unless the tank is so low that I absolutely have to stop for gas, and they're price is real high. Then I'll buy enough to get me to a lower priced station.

Since we're on the subject, here's a little known fact:
    The more gas you keep in your tank means the less chance there is for water or other contaminants to accumulate in your tank. In your rainy season, you should make a point of keeping your tank at least half, if not completely, full. You should never let your vehicle sit overnight with an empty or near-empty tank when engine-damaging moisture is most apt to accumulate.