• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fights on the street

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have just been working on my pc watching Rules of Attraction when I heard shouting, at first I thought it was just background noise from the film until I paused it and looked out of the window. I then saw a girl (I would say aged between 14 and 16) shouting and walking away from a guy who I would say was about 18 shouting back. I have no idea what said fight was about but I would like to think if something serious happened I would step in and help but I am not sure I would.

Sometime ago I was walking home from working late at college one night and went to meet a friend at his workplace for a drink, on the way home I saw a man and a women fighting, again I did not interfere and felt guilty, I told my friend this to which he said that if I get involved it may not be appreciated and I would likely get hit myself.

So where do you stand? Do you take a good Samaritan attitude or would you try not to get involved for fear or feeling the wrath or being involved?

Dekzper

Registered Member
It depends on the situation. If they look like a good match and they're both pissed, I'll watch and bet on the win. :lol:
But if one's a bully and it's not a good match, I'll jump in and slam the bully and let someone else watch and bet on the win. And the mofo better be good cause I can be kwik and deadly. :D

Dunno about the "good Samaritan" thing though. I just like to fight. :nod:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
My friends were in a fight in the street once, I was with them when this random douchebag came up and started to beat the crap out of my friends boyfriend. It was pretty bad, a few of my other friends jumped in and it ended up with blood all over the pavement. I sort of just stood back and watched in an almost interested way. I know that sounds bad but watching the violence didn't freak me out, but it didn't exactly make me want to join in either. Maybe modern video games and movies really do desensitize us? Either way we eventually broke free and just ran for it for a couple of blocks.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I'm a lover not a fighter. So I would try to settle this dispute or separate the two fighters before throwing a punch myself.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
If they're yelling, let them yell. If they're trading blows, I'm gonna have to try and stop it. Simple enough, I think.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Maybe modern video games and movies really do desensitize us?
Maybe. But sometimes it's just surviving. Things have been a lot better for the last 3 years but there are some tuff neighborhoods people have to live in. Where I lived before I had 2 choices. I could fight and maybe have to be in a hospital sometime. Or I could not fight and be in a hospital most of the time.

I could be wrong, but I think people who do fight have a better chance of staying healthy. Most peeps won't eff with someone who's willing to fight. But I don't think I'm desensitized cause I still wouldn't hurt an animal. But yeah, I still think it is possible the games desensitize some people, prolly people who weren't very sensitive anyway.
And I noticed something weird. A dude I know in RL likes pulling wings off butterflies. I almost slammed him for trying that but he backed down kwik. He likes torturing animals but he's too scared to fight. Very confusing. :stare:

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
@Crout: Yeah, I think at least some individuals are desensitized. I know the U.S. Military uses specially crafted virtual simulations etc… to get soldiers mentally prepared and desensitized to killing. Kinda crazy.

About a million variables would determine my decision in any particular place, but I can narrow it down. If it is right outside my house, in the street, and it looks like it even might get physical, I’d call the police ASAP and then go take a look. If there is one individual who looks like he/she is being bullied or domineered in any way and looks like he/she might get really messed up, I’d: call the police and inform them, walk out my door, have my revolver on my person and concealed BUT not leave my property lines (as per law), and get the aggressor’s attention from afar at first to distract him.
The laws are really clear in NJ that you can have your firearm on your person, but the only time you would ever be allowed to fire is if it is an equal and returned force in order to save your own life from a “clear and present” danger. So, just backup, not intimidation because he could actually press charges on your threatening him lol. I have no tolerance for the “Wild West” mentality, but I’m not afraid to stand my ground in that situation.

If it is out in public, it’s way different. I’d again call the police at the drop of a hat just so they’re on their way, but there are less instances in which I'd jump in. If someone really looks like they’re about to get unfairly pummeled, I’d give it a go.
I've boxed for exercise for the past 8 years, so, I'd be relying on instinct and muscle memory but zero skill. :lol:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Dekzper said:
Maybe. But sometimes it's just surviving. Things have been a lot better for the last 3 years but there are some tuff neighborhoods people have to live in. Where I lived before I had 2 choices. I could fight and maybe have to be in a hospital sometime. Or I could not fight and be in a hospital most of the time.

I could be wrong, but I think people who do fight have a better chance of staying healthy. Most peeps won't eff with someone who's willing to fight. But I don't think I'm desensitized cause I still wouldn't hurt an animal. But yeah, I still think it is possible the games desensitize some people, prolly people who weren't very sensitive anyway.
And I noticed something weird. A dude I know in RL likes pulling wings off butterflies. I almost slammed him for trying that but he backed down kwik. He likes torturing animals but he's too scared to fight. Very confusing.
I don't think not hurting an animal is a sign of not being desensitized, I would NEVER hurt an animal but the thought of hurting a human who is doing the wrong thing isn't out of the question for me. I'm not a violent person, I would never go out of my way to be violent but if I see it, even right in front of me then it doesn't really phase me. That's what I mean about the games and movies maybe desensitizing us. If I see it right in front of me I don't really care, but it doesn't make me violent and it doesn't make me seek out violence.

Last edited:

Dekzper

Registered Member
I don't think not hurting an animal is a sign of not being desensitized, I would NEVER hurt an animal but the thought of hurting a human who is doing the wrong thing isn't out of the question for me. I'm not a violent person, I would never go out of my way to be violent but if I see it, even right in front of me then it doesn't really phase me. That's what I mean about the games and movies maybe desensitizing us. If I see it right in front of me I don't really care, but it doesn't make me violent and it doesn't make me seek out violence.
Oh. I wasn't sure what "desensitize" meant. But yeah, it doesn't phase me to see it anymore. But I think it did when I was younger.
And I totally agree that fights are something to avoid. I've only started a few fights but that was when I was younger. I def never start fights now cause life would be a lot better without them. :nod:

Dabs

Registered Member
I don't like fighting, I so hate violence. If I happened upon a couple of guys fighting, the first thing I would do, is phone the police, no questions about it. If I saw a guy beating on a girl, I would try and help her. If I saw a group of people beating up on one person, omg, I would run and hide, but phone the police as fast as I could and pray they got there soon. But, if I ever seen a parent or adult, hitting on a child, then it wouldn't take me no time at all, to step in and say something and stop the incident, even if it meant getting my ass kicked.