Fighting may be on way out of hockey

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

FOX Sports on MSN - NHL - Fighting may be on way out of hockey

If they take out Hockey, it will be one of the biggest mistakes they ever do. A lot of fans only watch hockey because of the physical play and fighting.

Also if you take hockey out, then players will find another way to take their anger out, they use their sticks as weapons, or some people will start doing what Simon did, stomp on them when they are down with their skates.

It's just bad and it shouldnt be removed for many reasons.

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah, hockey is identified and known for their fighting. It's like taking a part of the sport out.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've always thought it was kind of silly that fighting is part of the sport since it doesn't really have any impact on the outcome of the game, but it would definitely be pretty lame if they get rid of it. I think the sport would lose quite a few fans.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

There are definitely games where Fights have impacted the outcome. I've been to Minor league games myself where a team will be trailing 2 goals behind and they get their sparkplug out there who starts playing physical, mucks it up in the corners and then lands 5 minutes in the box after a spirited bout of good ol' fisticuffs. The bench gets motivated from that and comes back to win it. I've seen it happen live, hell I've even experienced it myself. Theres no stat for a Good Fight or a Bad Fight, so unfortunately I cant prove it :hah:

Saying fights dont effect the outcome of the game is about equivalent of saying injuries dont effect the moral of the players. Every little bit counts especially on long seasons such as the NHL has. I've read in the Hockey Times magazine on the little interview with the players section where players like Mats Sundin, Patrick Marleau, and even Mario Lemieux all say that the fights from the enforcers help remind the top players that every game still counts.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Well my point was that they don't affect the outcome directly. Obviously there are motivational boosts in sports, like a coach getting thrown of the game to fire up his team. I think fighting falls under that category.

6. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

This would be a huge mistake if it were to happen. Fighting in hockey is unique compared to other sports and even though it can be pointless on occasion it can also be huge in motivation. Cam Janssen of the Blues would serve no purpose if fighting was eliminated. Sure, he could check people but that's not good enough. I think it has a place and should remain.

Hell, I was pissed when Sega took fighting out of NHL96!

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Echoes you're exactly right on comparing the coach in baseball to fighting in hockey. Hell I'd even say a pitcher beaming the batter could be a close relation Also. Its that whole underlying emotional statement of the sport saying "nope we wont tolerate you're sh!t in our barn". Thats the emotional element that I as a fan love to see not only in hockey but most definetly inother sports to.

Losing fighting in hockey will be catastophic to the future of the game. The players will have to abide by the Euro style of play and skaters who once held the title of Enforcer will be out of a job. We'll see lightweight fast skating hacks take their place just like in the DEL, SMLiiga, and the other top Non-North American leagues.

The game will not be any more family friendly... I hate when that term is thrown out. All in all I believe without the aggression element, the future games will play out like a less skilled all star game. Just back and forth with some scoring here and and some bad Reffing there nothing else to be excited about. That'll be the whole game, which is sad.

The way I've always tried to explain the importance of fighting in hockey to people who dont follow it like I do is simple. In comparison which do you hear more: "Did you see that Goal Crosby scored last night!?!" versus "Did you see that fight Boogaard was in last night!?!"

8. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

To hit on that last point...

You're exactly right. When my friends and I go to a hockey game there are two things we want...

Lots of goals and at least one fight. I bet we aren't the only ones who think that way.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Fans love nice goals as well Ice. Maybe in the United States it's different which I believe it is. But here in Canada we love a nice goal over a fight, don't get me wrong we love fights though.

Like it was mentioned already, if the fighting is taken out of the game then a lot of players will lose their jobs, also like I said players will start to swing their sticks to injure other players, because that's the only way they can get back at them.

Take out fighting in Hockey, you lose tons of fans in United States, so many.

10. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

We watch boxing, MMA, etc. for that.