FIFA World Cup : Group A (FR/SA/ME/UR)

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by idisrsly, May 21, 2010.

?

Which of the Group A teams do you predict to go through to the top 16?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2010.
  1. South Africa

45.5%
  2. Mexico

63.6%
  3. France

72.7%
  4. Uruguay

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

This thread is for all discussions of Group A games only. Below you can find the schedules for Group A rounds as well as a handy link where you can find more info on all FIFA matches and updates.

Please note that the match times below are local South African time (GMT +2). The link provided has an option where you can revert these times into your local time.

Get your vote in on which two teams you predict to go through to the top 16 before the poll closes.

Match Date-Time Venue
    1 11/06 16:00 Jo'burg Soccer City S-Africa Mexico
    2 11/06 20:30 Cape Town Uruguay France
    17 16/06 20:30 Tshwane/Pretoria South Africa Uruguay
    18 17/06 20:30 Polokwane France Mexico
    33 22/06 16:00 Rustenburg Mexico Uruguay
    34 22/06 16:00 Mangaung/Bloem France S-Africa

Official FIFA 2010 Website : Match updates
    FIFA.com

Official FIFA 2010 Website : Venues / Stadiums
    FIFA.com - 2010 FIFA World Cup? - Destination South Africa

After the group rounds, all discussion on further games will continue in the existing FIFA thread.
    http://www.generalforum.com/football-soccer/2010-fifa-world-cup-thread-66177.html

[​IMG]

Let's get the discussions going!

Last edited: May 23, 2010

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I have little faith in our team right now but a little positive thinking couldn't hurt. I'm picking France and SA. For the latter it's really more because I'm guessing the home advantage would work for SA. And it's sad to see the hosts eliminated on the first round. :)

idisrsly likes this.
  3. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

Thanks ysabel. :D
    It would be very sad if we drop out in the first round, although everyone is predicting it!
    I have high hopes for us!
    Guess you and me will be "friendly rivals" on the 22nd of June then? :lol:

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

See, if we beat Uruguay and Mexico in the previous games, I guess it'll be almost irrelevant who wins on the 22nd. :)

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I don't see South Africa moving on(Sorry Curious) I know some people believe they'll feed off their home crowd, but I don't believe they're strong enough to move to the next round.

I believe France will be the top team in Group A, with Mexico being the second team that advances.

idisrsly likes this.
  6. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I'll actually be rooting for South Africa to advance but I picked Mexico and France.

I usually root against France (sorry Belle) but I think they'll make it to the next round. I've seen enough of Mexico to know how good they are as well.

idisrsly likes this.
  7. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

i think Mexico and France will be going through, but i hope South Africa make it trough to the second round.

It's always nice to see the hosts do well and if they got through at the expense of France i'd be delighted. Hoping to see France get embarrassed this year like they did in 2002.

edit: sorry ysabel!! :p

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'm going with something a little different. Mexico and Uruguay. I'll cheer for France, but they just haven't been very impressive ever since the last World Cup.

9. KSpiceFantastic

KSpiceFantastic Haters gonna hate.

Mexico and SA, for me. Mexico has an outstanding team for the talent pool they have and is underrated. SA is really good and can make a run. Home field advantage for sure.

Remember, France BARELY got in. A HANDBALL by Thierry Henry that was never called against Ireland got them in. Last minute. They are not the same team from 2006. Not at all.

idisrsly likes this.
  10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't think there can be more embarrassing like that 2002 WC performance because we were there as current champions. Imagine it's like Italy getting eliminated on the first round this year.