FIFA World Cup Awards

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
At the end of the WC, several players/teams are distinguished via awards like:

1. Golden Ball - best player (shortlisted candidates have already been released by FIFA here).

2. Golden Boot - player with most goals (between Villa, Sneijder, Mueller and maybe Forlan now).

3. Golden Glove (yashin) - best goalkeeper, haven't seen any list yet but I'm thinking Casillas

4. Best Young Player - below 21...I'm certain Mueller will bag this.

5. Fair Play Trophy (only those teams who reached knockout phase are eligible)

There's also Most Entertaining Team and All Star Team.

Any guesses on winners?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
At the end of the WC, several players/teams are distinguished via awards like:

1. Golden Ball - best player (shortlisted candidates have already been released by FIFA here).
Depending how he does against Uruguay I'll give it to Mueller. But I wouldn't be surprised if Villa won it

2. Golden Boot - player with most goals (between Villa, Sneijder, Mueller and maybe Forlan now).
Mueller

3. Golden Glove (yashin) - best goalkeeper, haven't seen any list yet but I'm thinking Casillas
I'm taking Casillas he was outstanding in the World Cup.

4. Best Young Player - below 21...I'm certain Mueller will bag this.
Ummmmmmm....I don't know :lol:

5. Fair Play Trophy (only those teams who reached knockout phase are eligible)
Donavan...just taking a wild guess on this one.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
The Fair Play trophy one is awarded to an entire team. France wouldn't qualify (not only because they didn't make the knockout rounds but also their team show was shameful even if it was off the stadium).

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
1) I would love for Gyan to get it, but I don't really see that happening. I say Villa or Oezil for this one.

2) Villa Villa Villa!!! Ole!

3) Tough one, but I will go with Casillas as well.

4) Oezil is under 21 as well right? I would say between him and Mueller then, but probably Meuller, deservingly so.

5) Spain.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Pleased with the Winners!!!

Forlàn ♥ (Golden Ball)
Müller (Golden Boot and Best Young Player)
Casillas (Golden Glove)
Spain (FIFA Fair Play Award)

I wonder what they put for the All Star Team.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I loved that Forlan won it, he was definitely in my top three. I love the guy, he's such an amazing player with lots of heart. I'm not surprised you put a heart beside his name Ysabel, he is hunk afterall ;)

Satiesfied with the other winners as well.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Yes yes. Forlan is a great player and he is mighty HAWT! But I just don't like the Uruguayans after all the bad things they've been saying about SA as hosts. So that leaves a bit of bad taste in my mouth. But still, Forlan deserves that one. :)

I am thrilled about the other 4 winners. Meuller turned out to be quite the performer in this WC. I am sure we will still see great things to come from him in the future.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Forlan is a good choice for the Goldan Ball, I thought Iniesta would win this, he was outstanding throughout and scored the all important World Cup winning goal.

That said, Forlan is a worthy winner, scored some really good goals.

My all star team:

GK: Casillas (Spain)
DF: Lahm (Germany)
DF: Puyol (Spain)
DF: Lucio (Brazil)
DF: Pique (Spain)
MF: Sneijder (Holland)
MF: Iniesta (Spain)
MF: Khedira (Germany)
FW: Forlan (Uruguay)
FW: Muller (Germany)
FW: Villa (Spain)

Really difficult leaving people like Schweinsteiger, Gyan, Xavi and Klose out of the team.

jack3456

Registered Member
I pretty much agree with the above, but here's two or three other "awards" they could possibly have, a little analagous to the Hollywood Golden Raspberries.
The Most Why-was-I-born/Kill-Me-Right-Now Cringeworthy Moment Winner goes to: Asamoah Gyan, for that missed penalty that cost an African team a place in the last four.
First Runner Up, Raymond Domenech, for his refusal to shake hands with the South African coach after France's defeat and elimination and particularly for not even understanding why he'd be considered for the award in the first place.
The Most Over-Rated/Most Disappointing Player. The winner is: Wayne Rooney.
First Runner-Up, Christiano Ronaldo.
Biggest Flops of the Tournament: France.
First Runners Up, Italy.
Shock Horror Award For the Most Abrupt Transformation From Excellent to S*** (Within a Single Match) goes to Brazil. There were no other nominees.
Most Unsurprising Transformation From Future Champions to Total Nobodies. Winner, Diego Maradonna's Argentina, the hapless, tactically naive coach bringing on yet another attacking player with his side already three down against Germany.
First Runner Up: England (though only in their own delusions were they ever future champions),