Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

This isn't that much of a shock. He was getting very old. I guess he just wanted to live out his final days without the added stress of running a country.

FOXNews.com - Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency After Half-Century in Power - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

His 76 year old brother will be taking over. This is somewhat surprising because I can't imagine he has that much longer to live either. I wonder if they have plans in place for the next leader once his brother Raul dies or quits.

It will be interesting to see what happens. And for those of you wondering, Cuban cigars will still be illegal to bring to the US.

Castro's resignation won't change U.S. policy, official says - CNN.com

2. fleinn

fleinn 101010

...I don't mean to sound like my usual america- bashing self - but can't your state- department do anything right? First they proclaim that now, with Castro being ill, then Communist evil Cuba will fall all by itself (and the separatists in Miami oil their rifles extra well, for when they are going to "liberate" Cuba. You know, with a brief period of tyranny, before the people take over again. Like, democracy and shit). Which Castro - a seriously sick and weak man in a jumpsuit - manages to dismiss with Authority.

And then he resigns, as far as we know, and Raul takes over, as he's been doing since Castro collapsed. Now - at that point, what do they do? Do they say things have changed, and that the Cuban communist evil country must now be treated differently, and should be threatened in new and fanciful ways, together with the less than restrained policies on sponsoring coups in half of South America? Oh, no - now it's "it won't change our policy". And Castro, a resigned leader, manage to outmaneuver them.

Seriously.. do the whole lot conspire together to come off as totally incompetent, or what? I mean, anyone could do better than this, just by accident. sheesh.

3. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

The State Department seems to consist of a bunch of career buffoons that think they deserve to run the country. They were first to come out with a statement protecting their ridiculous embargo policy. Does anyone see the point of a Cuban embargo or any proof that it has helped? That has been our only weapon against a communist country 90 miles away?

About Castro, he stated a few months ago that he would not retire until Bush was gone. Dictator types seems to keep their word when making 'threats'. I think he's dead. Probably has been for weeks.

4. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

well that would make things a lot more interesting.

Now, I think that the U.S. should keep the policies in place, even is it is a stupid embarho policy. It was put in place for a reason and should stay that way. Until we have some sort of treaty..."we like each other" agreement with Cuba, everything needs to stay intact.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That's a very interesting theory Spence, especially considering the fact that the only proof of his resignation that we have is a note...

Unless I missed the news footage, I'm pretty sure he hasn't appeared on any cameras regarding his resignation. It actually makes sense for him to be dead. If that's true then we'll hear in a few weeks that he has "died".

There isn't any proof either way at the moment.

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I thought he would die of old age before giving it up. So what happens to Cuba when the power goes to his brother?

AngelsPeak likes this.
  7. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

The US shouldn't begin to loosen the embargo until Cuba makes significant progress towards democracy and resolving human rights issues. While the Cuban Missile Crisis may have been the impetus for the embargo, there are still legitimate humanitarian grounds for maintaining it, which only indirectly relate to Fidel Castro. Furthermore, I believe there are still outstanding issues relating to the uncompensated nationalization of various industries in the 1950's.

8. Ymir-GF

Ymir-GF Registered Member

Business, as usual, would be my guess. It would seem unlikely that the Communist party would be willing to cave in to the masses at this point in time. That will take a civil war. The nasty side of dictatorships is they tend to kill off their opponents and so political vacuum's appear in their wake.

Nothing will change in Cuba until the people themselves tire of being bullied by a pack of gun toting "politicians" with the miliary in their back pockets. Even if the brother of Castro dies I would expect the military to take over the reigns.

9. fleinn

fleinn 101010

*snort* whose military?

10. Ymir-GF

Ymir-GF Registered Member

Cute, but I am assuming it would be the Cuban Military... not for example, the American military.