• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Female Gamers

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Crap like this is why people don't take us seriously. :shake:

Seriously, Learn to Cook? "Imagine Babies Game"? Guide to Gaming for Girls?

I actually want to throw up looking at this magazine.

Have any of GF's gamer girls ever encountered anyone who doesn't understand that some girls do play games just as well and sometimes just as often as some guys?

Or even worse, have you ever said that you play video games to someone and they automatically assume you mean Wii Fit, Nintendogs, some sort of Karaoke thing and nothing else?

People are mostly good nowadays, but every now and then I see something like that magazine cover and it makes me so damn mad. Way to stereotype us morons at Nintendo.

LxDroid

Registered Member
ok i maybe a guy. and i know a few female gamers. my best friend who is a girl, plays Fifa 11, Killzone3, BFBC2 and all these stabby stabby killy killy games.
yeah she likes to play LBP and stuff cus the sack things are cute ( i think they are cute too :3 )
but this is just crap.
what made me lol was: Wii WILL ROCK YOU
and that when wii sucks xD

Impact

V.I.P.
I think that magazine is more a marketing tool to try and get female non-gamers into gaming. I mean the type of girls who spend their free time getting fakes tans, mani/pedis and eyebrow waxing. You know the type I mean. And it's a good way to pull in those types of girls and make a killing.

Being an actual proper female gamer, I run into the female gamer stereotypes all the fucking time. "Oh, you must be 500lbs and really ugly to play those games" or "Well, obviously you suck because you're a girl". I use that last one to my advantage when I kick someone's ass. I think it's becoming a lot more common to be a female gamer though, so slowly (I hope) those stereotypes will die out. And to be fair, those assumptions usually come from complete jerks.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Being an actual proper female gamer, I run into the female gamer stereotypes all the fucking time. "Oh, you must be 500lbs and really ugly to play those games" or "Well, obviously you suck because you're a girl". I use that last one to my advantage when I kick someone's ass. I think it's becoming a lot more common to be a female gamer though, so slowly (I hope) those stereotypes will die out. And to be fair, those assumptions usually come from complete jerks.
Male gamers do have stereotypes as well as female ones, but it seems different with girl gamer stereotypes, I think because there are still not many of us (in comparison to the guys).

And I've run into that stereotype as well, that all girl gamers are either obese and hideous or really sexy model-types who don't actually game but just pose with consoles half naked to try appeal to the male audience. I hate that type so much.

Oh by the way, I just found this which is almost as bad as that magazine.

Never fear young girl gamers of the world! You now have a sign to say exactly which games you can play. And thankfully it's full of Hannah Montanna and Bratz! (And one copy of COD :lol:)

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
^ Metal Gear, not CoD. BIG difference :lol:

I personally enjoy gaming commentary, a community that has grow considerably in the past few years and there are a few prominent female gamers. Female gamers are like male gamers ten years ago. It still wasn't 'cool' but it was transitioning. Eventually, you won't see this shit about women in gaming but I also don't think you'll see a big surge in female gamers either.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
In the beginning I found this very funny that someone in a marketing room would actually suggest making this publication but the more I thought about it the more I thought "good god who came up with this", this is borderline offensive to be honest in the way it is being publicized and I am amazed Nintendo allowed their name on.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
In the beginning I found this very funny that someone in a marketing room would actually suggest making this publication but the more I thought about it the more I thought "good god who came up with this", this is borderline offensive to be honest in the way it is being publicized and I am amazed Nintendo allowed their name on.
I think you need to read Impact's response because she's got the right idea.

This is not something marketed at a real female gamer, it's marketed to casual gamers, the ones who think Farmville is a legitimate game. It's also for those transitioning into a very male-dominated gaming world. I don't think it's so much about reaching every woman who has ever picked up a controller or sat at a keyboard.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
^ Metal Gear, not CoD. BIG difference :lol:
Haha so blurry I couldn't see, and I think that cover is written in Japanese or something?

I sort of don't see the point of the magazine at all. Why aim a gaming magazine at a group of non-gamers? And trust me, I use the word "gaming" very lightly here as I honestly think this is more of a cooking/ exercise magazine.

It just reinforces that annoying term 'girl gamer' even more which is a term that is starting to get on my nerves. Male gamers don't get called 'Guy Gamers' or 'Boy Gamers', they are simply gamers. Why can't we all just have the one term? Why must any females automatically be lumped into our own category?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think you need to read Impact's response because she's got the right idea.

This is not something marketed at a real female gamer, it's marketed to casual gamers, the ones who think Farmville is a legitimate game. It's also for those transitioning into a very male-dominated gaming world. I don't think it's so much about reaching every woman who has ever picked up a controller or sat at a keyboard.
Don't get me wrong I think Impact does have the right idea, this may indeed be aimed at that level of the gaming market and if this is what they are doing great. The problem I feel is that by putting something like this out there and the design of it as Crouton says will not help in any way in trying to get the female demographic taken seriously.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I sort of don't see the point of the magazine at all. Why aim a gaming magazine at a group of non-gamers? And trust me, I use the word "gaming" very lightly here as I honestly think this is more of a cooking/ exercise magazine.
See but that assumption is just as sexist when you think about it.

Of course it serves a purpose, like I said it's more of a transitioning idea if anything I'd bet. Nintendo has been king of casual gaming for awhile now with some of their admittedly silly titles where the focus is something you could do in real life just as easily such as raising a pet or cooking. Research has also shown that most female gamers fall into this casual category. It doesn't mean we don't have awesome gals like Imp or Iris who play more traditional titles, it just means that in their group they're the minority. For now.

It just reinforces that annoying term 'girl gamer' even more which is a term that is starting to get on my nerves. Male gamers don't get called 'Guy Gamers' or 'Boy Gamers', they are simply gamers. Why can't we all just have the one term? Why must any females automatically be lumped into our own category?
Of course they don't, gaming has been male oriented since it began. I think you're getting a bit too equality-sensitive here because it's obvious why they're called girl gamers, it's because it's a new trend. You never had women playing games in years past but now since gaming is becoming more mainstream and not just a geek activity, you're seeing new groups of people playing. The typical gamer was the 10-25 year old male for many years. Now the numbers have changed and women (regarding a study I read last year, I can't find it though) actually make up the majority of gamers but once again, that's thanks to this newly expanded casual gaming experience.