Female gamers?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why do you think there are so few of them? Do you believe there are many more than we think? Why is it strange for women to play video games? Are you yourself a female gamer? If so:

What kind of pressures do you experience during online gaming? Do you feel video games as a whole carry a sexist tone? Especially MMOs?

Feel free to add your own questions, I thought it would be fun to get a discussion going on the topic after reading this fairly ridiculous article.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I used to think there was bugger all chick games, but over time I have noticed that there are actually a lot of them, there are more and more of them joining online games and all that. There are even clans aka Guilds in all kinds of games that are just based on all chick members, and can be very good.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I've read in an article that 28% of gamers are from the female gender, i wouldnt be surprised with platforms like Wii and DS taking a slice of that percentage.

While playing metal gear online ive came across alot of female gamers, who i've chated through the micro. Its alot of fun.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Oh there's no doubting that women can be better gamers than men, I just think with the changing face of gaming, something like this is intriguing to talk about since games are becoming more mainstream and the high number of female gamers are beginning to reveal themselves.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I don't play online, so i'm not sure how many female gamers there are in that category...

Out of girls i'd know though, probably less than 1% are gamers! Whenever girls would be there and we'd be gathered around the Xbox, they were usually more confused than anything. And if any girls tried to play, which we'd always encourage, every time it'd end in some epic failing!

So from my group of friends anyways, girls still just aren't into gaming. Not sure why really. Just no interest whatsoever.

Twitch

Registered Member
Oh there's no doubting that women can be better gamers than men, ...
Obviously, just look at Pam and Kay in Halo.

I really don't even notice female gamers unless they have microphones. When they do there is usually guys hitting on her, while I am shooting them. and her.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I remember reading an article (or maybe a book, I don't remember to be honest) that theorized that games are not as appealing to women because biologically, men are more prone to challenges and thus, enjoy games more. It does not mean that women do not enjoy a fight, it just went along with common biological theories and adapted them to gaming. The "thrill of the reward" was cited as a serious reason why more men play.

Twitch

Registered Member
I remember reading an article (or maybe a book, I don't remember to be honest) that theorized that games are not as appealing to women because biologically, men are more prone to challenges and thus, enjoy games more. It does not mean that women do not enjoy a fight, it just went along with common biological theories and adapted them to gaming. The "thrill of the reward" was cited as a serious reason why more men play.
I just think that guys have shorter attention spans, so we need something to keep us occupied. We can't read or just walk through a park like some girls can. We need to be killing, racing, or jumping around.

I've played FPS, strategy and adventure games that all had multi-player and I've never seen, been told or heard a women. Yet, when I go on a game like EverQuest (an MMORPG) all I see are women speaking on the microphone telling me what to do! In my experiences, I've seen a lot of women enjoy the MMORPG type fantasy games where you get to team with other people such in groups and raids. My theory is women generally like to group rather than battle real opponents.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I just think that guys have shorter attention spans, so we need something to keep us occupied. We can't read or just walk through a park like some girls can. We need to be killing, racing, or jumping around.
I can see the attention span thing, but it's both genders in my experience. I think the nature of the male gender makes us enjoy gaming more.

I've played FPS, strategy and adventure games that all had multi-player and I've never seen, been told or heard a women. Yet, when I go on a game like EverQuest (an MMORPG) all I see are women speaking on the microphone telling me what to do! In my experiences, I've seen a lot of women enjoy the MMORPG type fantasy games where you get to team with other people such in groups and raids. My theory is women generally like to group rather than battle real opponents.
See that's the funny part because I can concur with these experiences. The women I've come across in gaming are almost always in RPGs. Most female gamers seem to flock to either party games or RPG style games. I would wonder why, but my best guess is that women are much more concerned typically with a stronger story and personal touch and thus enjoy games where you take the role of the hero/heroine and guide them to destiny.