female car insurance

sweet_mayhem

Registered Member
has anyone here availed of female car insurance? how is it? is it really bang for the buck compared to regular insurance deals? it's so sad that we don't have it here in our country...

mamab

Registered Member
I'd never heard of "female" car insurance. Where do they offer it? I'm guessing someplace like Canada or something, from your comment.

Melos

Registered Member
I wasn't aware that this was a seperate thing. Are their insurance companies that only sell to females?

I guess I would say I avail myself of it since I'm female and have insurance. :) But it is just a regular policy, not specified as anything different.

taiarain

Registered Member
I've never heard of female car insurance and would be leery of any company offering it. Female drivers tend to be offered better rates than our same-age male counterparts through traditional insurance companies due to a statistical history of safer driving.

sweet_mayhem

Registered Member
I've never heard of female car insurance and would be leery of any company offering it. Female drivers tend to be offered better rates than our same-age male counterparts through traditional insurance companies due to a statistical history of safer driving.
i came across the idea of female car insurance when the company i'm writing for assigned an article to me about it. i think they have this in UK but i'm not really sure about the US having it. companies offer this since statistics show that females actually make fewer and smaller claims. women are also found to be less involved in high-speed accidents and severe ones. so by offering discounted insurance deals which are exclusive to women, these companies also get to save since they don't have to put their money on the costly claims which men tend to make.

taiarain

Registered Member
How do they get away with making it separate is my question? In the US, insurance companies set their rates based on demographics. The rate is automatically tailored to the types of drivers using the vehicle. It's not like it's one rate for everybody or a special package for statistically better drivers.

katharina

Registered Member
i think they have this in UK but i'm not really sure about the US having it.
Interesting... but I haven't heard of it, either. Considering so many of us have never heard of it, it's probably a pretty good guess that it's not available in the US. I'm not sure male drivers would be real happy about that... and often two people are on the same policy, so it's difficult to imagine how it would work. If it's for single women, for instance, why would the rest of us be penalized for being married if we're the same kind of driver?

Melos

Registered Member
Well, I do think that women get reduced car insurance rates... based on demographic statistics like taiarain said, but they could never get away with calling it specifically Female Car Insurance.

sweet_mayhem

Registered Member
Interesting... but I haven't heard of it, either. Considering so many of us have never heard of it, it's probably a pretty good guess that it's not available in the US. I'm not sure male drivers would be real happy about that... and often two people are on the same policy, so it's difficult to imagine how it would work. If it's for single women, for instance, why would the rest of us be penalized for being married if we're the same kind of driver?
a month ago, i read a webpage of this company offering female car insurance which says that married men could actually benefit from their discounts if their wives avail of this type of insurance.

Norton360

Registered Member
They do female car insurance here in the uk. Companys such as Diamond car insurance only insure women. But the thing i don't understand is, why don't us boys get insurance for us. I think its sexist really, anyone else agree?