• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Felony discrimination

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've been pretty much self employed for years now which means I am constantly picking up odd jobs when things slow. One thing I notice is the amount of work that felons are barred from. Most of this is low pay or entry level work. Recent jobs that have barred felons that I've worked at: US Census, satellite installer* and tire manufacturing. In addition, felons cannot vote or own firearms. I'm not sure I agree with this. It seems after the punishment is served this becomes discrimination. At the same time, I realize there are some crimes that demand these rights being taken away. A sex offender should never work around kids. It just a conflict I have and would like an opinion on.

*Any of you young bucks looking for work should seriously consider working for a Dish Network contractor. The pay is excellent and you can work yourself into the job if you know how to. All you have to do is ask a contractor if you can do unpaid training for a few weeks. I can explain this in greater detail if anyone is interested. These guys can make a grand a week though, seriously.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I agree with you. The penal system alone is ineffective and backwards enough as is, but it shouldn't overlap into a person's "post-punishment" life in certain cases. The voting and firearms thing has always upset me a little bit--considering how many people are wrongly convicted every day. Our system of punitive retribution is illogical. Committing a felony doesn't mean a person isn't sorry, doesn't deserve a second chance, and therefore can't make a good decision concerning elections--it just means they screwed up once.

For horrific acts, like child molestation, I think we're pretty safe in keeping that man or woman away from children. It's a moral preemptive that weighs heavier on logic. But for other things, once one's debt to society is "supposedly" paid, it's like not even being a citizen anymore.

Nighteye

Registered Member
Yeah to true, if they are trusted back into society once paid there dues then they should be treated like everyone else and given a clean slate.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
The barring should fit the crime. Obviously, if you commit a sex offense, you can't work in the area that involves people of the type you offended. If you commit an offense involving firearms, bye bye firearm rights.

I don't get the no voting thing though.

What irks me about this though, is that even if you've been CHARGED but not convicted or acquitted, the charges are still on your record and can count against you. If you weren't convicted then you obvously didn't do it, and you shouldn't be penalized. Especially if it's something stupid you did in your young adult days. People make mistakes and it's way easier to learn from them if you aren't barred from acting like any other law abiding citizen after you serve your time.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I moderate a prison reform news board on reddit- news about prisons and reform efforts being undertaken, and one of the issues is that America especially has an alarming recidivism rate- the people that come out of prison tend to wind up back up there again.

There are a couple reasons for this. One is what you mention- a released felon can't reintegrate into society very well if most jobs are shut off to him or her. A second issue is that parole especially is extremely unforgiving- spending time with the wrong people or missing a meeting can get you in serious trouble, maybe back in prison.

There are of course a host of other issues that deal with prison itself, but once they are released those are the two I've noticed. I do think it amounts to discrimination, particularly in the realms of employment and voting (firearms, like sex offenders, to me should be a common-sense regulation). Voting is a right, not a privilege.

Saint_Anger

Now im from the uk so cant say i fully understand your laws / crime punishment. From my understanding a crime is small potatos.... Id imagine J-walking, speeding, shop lifting e.t.c is classed as this? As far as i know a felony is a crime which results in over 1 year in prison. Id imagine things that endanger lives and peoples well-being would fall under this category?.

Now If you were a felon for say... Murder, then obviously, i dont feel you should ever be allowed near a gun, yet alone own one. I feel that if you have commited a crime such as Theft, Battery, Drug dealing, Assult and ofcourse murder, you shouldnt be allowed near a firearm, yet alone allowed to own one. I feel this way because a firearm in any of those situations would make the crime a lot easier to commit. I also think that a gun in that situation could have made things a lot more worse.

As i said, im not to knowledgable of American Laws and punishment, But i cant see how voting would make a difference. Obviously your being punished for comitting a crime, but not having a say as to how your country is lead and represented is a little confusing to me.

Wade8813

Registered Member
We may not want felons going around door to door asking people personal information for the census. Just sayin'...

IMO, some of the restrictions are a bit overboard, and some of them make sense. They should probably be more related to the crime - robbing a bank doesn't mean you can't be around kids.

And in some ways, I think it could be fairly argued that the punishment for a felony includes punishment above and beyond prison time. Losing your right to vote is in a sense part of the sentence.