Felony Charges of Stalking?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Rapier, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Rapier

Rapier Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

2. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

This doesn't make sense to me. I think the reason that they arrested her put a hefty bail on her was because she is middle eastern.

3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Throwing a pie, whilst relatively harmless, is still considered assault. So being arrested isn't completely out of line. But a 250k bond to get bailed out? That's retarded. Obviously someone up is pulling some strings to shut her up.

4. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Michigan stalking law:
    https://www.msu.edu/~safe/facts/mi_stalking.htm

If you are going to follow someone around with intent and forethought in order to assault them then that's the charge. If you don't want to be charged with that crime then don't do it!

That being said I did lol when I heard about her throwing a pie at Levin.

This is how it works, cops charge you with the maximum and then you are encouraged to plead guilty to a lesser charge, or face trial. I doubt a jury would convict her of felony stalking, but should she roll the dice and take that chance? She ought to cop a plea to a lesser charge and if she is smart she won't do something like that again.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

First off this isn't an "article" but a blog I guess that is obviously biased. As such, I'm sure we're not getting the whole story.

Secondly, this made me laugh:

This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of free speech and it bothers me to no end when people make idiotic statements such as this. She committed assault, you can't use the defense of "free speech" when you commit assault. It's stupid to make that argument. This isn't political repression, if that were true, then everyone there would have been arrested instead of the numbskull that committed assault.

Don't like it? Don't commit assault. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

EDIT: I also like the top where it says "student jailed for anti-war protest"...no genius she was arrested for assault. What are they teaching at Michigan State?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. SmilinSilhouette

Yea, I lol'd at the entire dumbass article. Especially the "abuse" she suffered by being called names and not being fed her special vegan diet while in jail. I'm sure they should have a special menu and maybe even bring in the chef from her favorite vegan campus eatery just for when idiots like her end up in the Mecosta County Jail. Also the picture of the dorks protesting her arrest was yet another big lol!

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

If you don't want to be subjected to what happens in jail.......DON'T COMMIT CRIMES!! It doesn't take an advanced degree in astrophysics to figure that out.

8. Rapier

Kantar was also arrested?

Precious American soldiers and their families lives are being destroyed because warmongers like Levin pander them for Israeli interests.

People like you wrap yourself in the flag not giving flying crap about kicking our soldiers to the curb for Israeli interests. Why do you think there are so many neoconservative viewpoints dictating our foreign and internal policies?

Who do you think all the new laws removing personal freedoms are in place to protect?

9. SmilinSilhouette

@ Rapier: So are you saying it would be cool with you if someone who doesn't agree with you follows you around until the time is right to throw a pie at you? Would you defend their "freedom of speech" and agree that it was their right to throw a pie at you because they think that you hate Jews?

Don't get me wrong, I think Levin is a dumbass that should be fired (by his constituents and I'm one of them) but I don't think that he should be assaulted.

10. Rapier

Nor do I. I think he should be incarcerated and tried for treason. He would be begging for the pie.

Did the pie even hit Levin? Was it a symbolic throwing? $250,000 bail?

I see the arrest for felony stalking in addition to the assault charge a testing of the waters to see what will fly when dealing with protesters. Did I question the assault aspect in my previous posts? NO.

If someone goes to multiple protests is he or she a felony stalker against group or an issue by default at the whim of an accuser?

Will vociferous criticism of a war and its purveyors and their affiliations/sponsors be considered hate speech and the next water testing?

Why is Hate Speech Law Counter-Productive? | ThereAreNoSides.org