Felony Charges of Stalking?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Throwing a pie, whilst relatively harmless, is still considered assault. So being arrested isn't completely out of line. But a 250k bond to get bailed out? That's retarded. Obviously someone up is pulling some strings to shut her up.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Michigan stalking law:
https://www.msu.edu/~safe/facts/mi_stalking.htm

If you are going to follow someone around with intent and forethought in order to assault them then that's the charge. If you don't want to be charged with that crime then don't do it!

That being said I did lol when I heard about her throwing a pie at Levin.

This is how it works, cops charge you with the maximum and then you are encouraged to plead guilty to a lesser charge, or face trial. I doubt a jury would convict her of felony stalking, but should she roll the dice and take that chance? She ought to cop a plea to a lesser charge and if she is smart she won't do something like that again.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
First off this isn't an "article" but a blog I guess that is obviously biased. As such, I'm sure we're not getting the whole story.

Secondly, this made me laugh:

The charges Mohsen faces indicate a significant and dangerous attack on free speech and the right of the people to protest injustices. It is clear that the state intends to use fear and intimidation to discourage people from holding elected officials accountable for their actions and inactions, particularly concerning war and state-sponsored violence inflicted upon innocent people on a global scale. This political repression is unacceptable and must be addressed.
This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of free speech and it bothers me to no end when people make idiotic statements such as this. She committed assault, you can't use the defense of "free speech" when you commit assault. It's stupid to make that argument. This isn't political repression, if that were true, then everyone there would have been arrested instead of the numbskull that committed assault.

Don't like it? Don't commit assault. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

EDIT: I also like the top where it says "student jailed for anti-war protest"...no genius she was arrested for assault. What are they teaching at Michigan State?

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Yea, I lol'd at the entire dumbass article. Especially the "abuse" she suffered by being called names and not being fed her special vegan diet while in jail. I'm sure they should have a special menu and maybe even bring in the chef from her favorite vegan campus eatery just for when idiots like her end up in the Mecosta County Jail. Also the picture of the dorks protesting her arrest was yet another big lol!

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
If you don't want to be subjected to what happens in jail.......DON'T COMMIT CRIMES!! It doesn't take an advanced degree in astrophysics to figure that out.

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
First off this isn't an "article" but a blog I guess that is obviously biased. As such, I'm sure we're not getting the whole story.

Secondly, this made me laugh:

This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of free speech and it bothers me to no end when people make idiotic statements such as this. She committed assault, you can't use the defense of "free speech" when you commit assault. It's stupid to make that argument. This isn't political repression, if that were true, then everyone there would have been arrested instead of the numbskull that committed assault.

Don't like it? Don't commit assault. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

EDIT: I also like the top where it says "student jailed for anti-war protest"...no genius she was arrested for assault. What are they teaching at Michigan State?
During a question-and-answer period, anti-war activist Max Kantar read a statement charging Levin with war crimes and imperialist actions through his role as chair of the Armed Services Committee. Kantar’s statement confronted Levin on the continued U.S. financial support of Israel, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, U.S. policy on Iran and the homeless population in Detroit. (statenews.com, Aug. 16)

Aug. 20 protesters demanded that charges
against Mohsen be dropped.
WW photo: Bryan G. Pfeifer
As Kantar finished reading the statement, Mohsen threw an apple pie at the senator. She reportedly told the Big Rapids Pioneer newspaper that she wanted to “send a message that liberals and Democrats are just as implicated in the violence of war as the Republicans.”
Shortly after the incident, Mohsen was arrested by police and taken to Mecosta County Jail, where she awaits arraignment on felony charges of assault and stalking. Kantar was arrested Aug. 18 for his involvement in the incident and is also facing felony charges of stalking, but was released Aug. 20 on a $10,000 bond. Mohsen’s next court date is scheduled for Aug. 30.
Kantar was also arrested?

Precious American soldiers and their families lives are being destroyed because warmongers like Levin pander them for Israeli interests.

People like you wrap yourself in the flag not giving flying crap about kicking our soldiers to the curb for Israeli interests. Why do you think there are so many neoconservative viewpoints dictating our foreign and internal policies?

Who do you think all the new laws removing personal freedoms are in place to protect?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
@ Rapier: So are you saying it would be cool with you if someone who doesn't agree with you follows you around until the time is right to throw a pie at you? Would you defend their "freedom of speech" and agree that it was their right to throw a pie at you because they think that you hate Jews?

Don't get me wrong, I think Levin is a dumbass that should be fired (by his constituents and I'm one of them) but I don't think that he should be assaulted.

Rapier

Registered Member
V.I.P.
@ Rapier: So are you saying it would be cool with you if someone who doesn't agree with you follows you around until the time is right to throw a pie at you? Would you defend their "freedom of speech" and agree that it was their right to throw a pie at you because they think that you hate Jews?

Don't get me wrong, I think Levin is a dumbass that should be fired (by his constituents and I'm one of them) but I don't think that he should be assaulted.
Nor do I. I think he should be incarcerated and tried for treason. He would be begging for the pie.

Did the pie even hit Levin? Was it a symbolic throwing? $250,000 bail?

I see the arrest for felony stalking in addition to the assault charge a testing of the waters to see what will fly when dealing with protesters. Did I question the assault aspect in my previous posts? NO.

If someone goes to multiple protests is he or she a felony stalker against group or an issue by default at the whim of an accuser?

Will vociferous criticism of a war and its purveyors and their affiliations/sponsors be considered hate speech and the next water testing?

Much hate speech legislation seems quite reasonable, right? For example: “We encourage free speech and defend everyone’s right to express unpopular points of view. But we do not permit hate speech (speech which attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status and sexual orientation/gender identity).” Each one of those labels is an external egoic label that is not who we are. The ego is the unconscious and destructive identification with form, and shows aggressive offensive-defence against anyone that has an alternative opinion, or tries to separate the individual (the conscious being) from the form with which they have mistakenly identified (a group, for example), or merely shines the light of attention on the group, highlighting a truth which members of the group do not like to hear.
What this means that if someone says something and someone from the group in question doesn’t like it, they can apparently legitimately lash out and attack the person whose opinion they do not like, with threats of legal action and perhaps imprisonment! Now it is pretty obvious that with all the different backgrounds and varieties of mind-made labels with which we can allow our ego to identify with, it is obvious that SOME of those labels are going to clash.
To ARM the ego with legal powers, threats, and allow the ego to dish out violence through the system of legislation and policing is insane.
It’s insane because we understand that those living through their ego may act in destructive and dysfunctional ways, and to empower that dysfunction further is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Einstein’s definition.
Legislation does not SOLVE the origin of hate. It simply turns an aggressive egoic exchange in to a tennis rally of “who is the biggest victim” which is of course a very popular egoic label. For example; having perceived someone’s comment as “hate” (we see in others what we see in ourselves) NEW demeaning labels are served in anger: “You’re a practicer of hate speech!” “The person with an alternative viewpoint is full of HATE!” “You’re a criminal, for having a different opinion.”
Free speech with boundaries, is not free speech.
The concept of hate speech is an erosion of free speech, and is of course, wide open to abuse. Where people with honest, and reasonable points to make, but which conflict with a powerful (and often financially capable) group, they are paralysed in to silence, or face disproportionate fines, legal costs, and imprisonment, for sharing an opinion.
The solution, is never to empower the ego with laws, and restrict free speech, no no no! The solution is to allow people to achieve a good standard of education. Bring back critical thinking, encourage people to make independent decisions (rather than the opposite which allows a dumb and controllable population to be exploited – which is where we are now).
Then when someone says something considered offensive to one group, let that opinion be aired, let the stupidity of the point be made, let the reasoning behind the hate be undone – as a verbal analogy: “Give someone enough rope and they will hang themselves.”
When you have an truly educated population, hate speech simply gets ignored as un-credible, small-minded emotional outbursts with no basis or reasoned argument, which is what it is.
A further point, is that when you have an educated population, both in terms of knowledge AND spirituality, people are less likely to fall in to the trap of identifying with form, and are more likely to respect cultural diversity, because they realise a group someone belongs to is not WHO they are, it’s just a temporary external label.
An informed and intelligent population is peaceful and balanced inside themselves, and this internal harmony manifests itself in decisions, actions and behaviours of individuals, to create an outside society which reflects the peace inside members of that society.
Why is Hate Speech Law Counter-Productive? | ThereAreNoSides.org