Wii Feelings on paying for old games?

Gamechamp

Registered Member
It was recently been announced that downloading games on the Rev won't be free, and will instead will work pretty much like the classic games that were made for GBA. What do you think on it?

For me, it drops my plans on actually getting a Rev by a lot. It was one of the things I wanted most... but from the looks of it I'll still just have to look for cheaper ones on eBay.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
If the games are $15-20 like the Classic NES Series games, then I'm sure I wouldn't buy many of them and it might even influence my decision on whether or not to get a Revolution. If they're $5 or less, Revolution would become a must-buy for me. Is there any word on the pricing yet, or do we just know that the classic games won't be free?

dk_rare

Registered Member
I'm sure Nintendo wont charge stupid amounts for the games, they may look at how songs are selling on like iTunes and stuff and see that they are selling well at a price of, say, 40p per song. Compared to the price of a cd single (I've seen singles for as much as 5 quid!) buying songs online is much cheaper.

So I'm hoping Nintendo will take the same tact, besides they can afford it. Selling games straight to the consumer? Genius! No need for a shop to take a cut, the price wont be taxed over and over again in the food chain, shipping costs, packaging costs all gone! Development has already taken place and there is far less need to pay for ads for the games. I see it as cheap enough to buy the games you wont without any trouble, but not soo cheap that you will have hundreds of games on your rev that you will obviously never play

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally, I'm sick of buying the same games over and over and over. That's like having to pay again each time you upgrade your computer. To some degree, I think if you can prove you already own the game, you should get to download it for free.

At the VERY LEAST, their new system should keep track of who paid for what, so when the NEXT Nintendo (after Revolution) comes out, we can get all the games we already paid for, sort of like iTunes.

Nintendo sure knows how to sell you the shirt on your own back. :-/

dk_rare

Registered Member
How about a system where you can trade old games in for a voucher to download it? Of course they may ask for book and box, not always possible, and what would Nintendo do with heaps of old games? Nah, isn't worth the trouble now that I think about it. You could, of course, just sell your old Nes games on eBay and then buy them through the Rev?

ltk9492

Registered Member
Andrew said:
Personally, I'm sick of buying the same games over and over and over. That's like having to pay again each time you upgrade your computer. To some degree, I think if you can prove you already own the game, you should get to download it for free.

At the VERY LEAST, their new system should keep track of who paid for what, so when the NEXT Nintendo (after Revolution) comes out, we can get all the games we already paid for, sort of like iTunes.

Nintendo sure knows how to sell you the shirt on your own back. :-/
Andrew you are SO right. Imagine having to pay a fee for updation firmware on your PSP. or for any other devices with updates, PMP's, MP3's, so on and so forth.

Aw, this was actually confirmed? That's disappointing. Oh well, it doesn't really matter to me, since I didn't intend on downloading many old games anyway.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
Andrew, why would you download a game you already have? The point for the downloading thing is to get games you don't have. Even if they were free, I wouldn't download Super Mario Bros. 3 on Rev because I already have an NES original.

KannonMAK

Registered Member
who didnt see this coming though? of course they were gonna charge, its the nature of the beast.

i personally wont be buying any pre-N64 games because its simple enough to get them online in Rom form. i still own all my old systems, so why keep buying them over again. but this feature is nice to have, and should encourage sales to those who dont have the past available in their own home.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
I have a feeling that alot of games will be 3-5 dollars to download. any more expensive than that, and it wouldnt make sense...

ALSO

When Nintendo released the iQue in China (I think) the game downloads were 4.99 and that was for games like Super Mario 64

Sure I wont be buying games I already have, that would be stupid of me. But classics that I can no longer find a cart for, I certainly will be