Feeling ill...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't know if it's the same with your family relatives, but when it comes to mine this is how it is.

I'll use my grandmother for example, she was feeling really sick, and she could barely take care of herself, but she didn't want to go see a doctor, everytime would of her sons or daugther ask them to go see a doctor she declined. But after a period of time when her kids saw she was really ill, they forced her to go.

Now here's the question, if you start feeling really ill, would you go to the doctors right away to get yourself checked? Or you'll wait a few weeks to see if it's going to go away.

I'm also not talking about the Flu or a cold, it's something different that you never felt before.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It depends on how much in pain I am and how it affects my productivity. For just feeling sick with fever or something unusual appears in any part of my body, but I can still function, I give it 3 days (at the same time taking paracetamol). Sometimes what stops me from seeing a doctor is that I can still tolerate the pain and do the things I normally do. And other times, it's a logistical complication (having to hire someone to look after the kids or asking my husband to take time off as I go to my appointment) so I don't bother anymore.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I only ever go to the doctor if it's really serious, as in potentially life threatening. Usually I just try to ride out the illness or condition as long as possible and hope it gets better.

4. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of like your grandmother. I need someone to convince me to go to the doctor before I go. i really don't like going to the doctor. the day i make an appt. i usually get better on the way anyway and i look like a fool.

5. ILOVEUSA911

ILOVEUSA911 Registered Member

If it's something different that I haven't felt before, I'll go get it checked. Other than that, I give it time to run it's course before going to the doctor.

I've had some crappy things done to me by doctors and nurses through the 7 surgeries I had. I have little faith in them anymore. I think I have actually developed a phobia of doctors, hospitals, etc. So unless I think it's something serious, I wait and see if I just get better on my own.

6. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I'm not one for going to the doctor or not either.

My friends or family have the nag at me to make me go to the doctor because I don't like the fuss.
    I only usually go if I think it's really serious or its really painful and is stopping me from doing daily day-to-day things.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I'm a self-diagnosed tropical-disease-catching hypochondriac :lol: The doctors office would be my second home if they didn't have a restraining order against me.

No, I'm just kidding, but I do have mild hypochondria and if I think that there's something wrong with me I will complain to my dad non-stop until he books me a doctor appointment haha. That has paid off a couple times though. (I'm currently about to go on treatment for an underactive thyroid because my doctor though my throat looked a little odd last time I was in there to ask him if I could possibly have tinnitus LOL)

However! If it was something serious or embarrasing then I would be the exact opposite. I would just wait as long as possible and not tell anyone about it, hoping it goes away.

8. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I'd be on my last legs before going in to see someone. I think seeing people come in to the hospital now for petty things just confirms I'm doing the right thing lol I see the ER and other places abused all the time for petty stuff.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Like it's been said, it depends on the degree of how bad I'm feeling. If I'm just feeling some minor pain, I'll try to sleep on it. However, if it gets really painful or is persistent to common remedies like aspirin or Pepto, then I'll go to the doctor.

10. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

My immune disorder makes it imperative that I go to the doctor if I get really ill.. However, I can usually figure out what is wrong with myself before I ever need to go to a doctor, and if it isn't something I can deal with on my own then I will go.

If it were something really off the wall that I had never had before and it seemed pretty serious then I would probably give it a couple days to go away and if it was still around then I would make my way to the doc.