• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Feeling Bad About a Misunderstanding

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
My friend and I had a misunderstanding tonight and I'm feeling pretty bad about it. She misunderstood something I said and called me out on it. I was kind of embarrassed that she thought I would think what she did and in my embarrassment I kind of got a little huffy with her. Now I am just feeling bad about the whole thing, but I'm still a little hurt at the same time. I'm not sure how to fix it.

NellyBell

Registered Member
Oh man, I think we've all been there. Extend the olive branch before you both have too much time to stew on it/feel like it's too late to address things. Stewing on it or moving on without discussing it could be problematic in the future. I usually do these kinds of apologies in writing, which may be seen as cowardly, but it allows me to get all I need to say out without interruptions. Apologize for getting huffy with her and anything you might have said. Then explain why you got huffy and tell her you are not trying to justify your actions, just trying to explain them.

Keri35

Registered Member
Don't let it go on for too long. The longer you don't talk, the harder it will be to fix the friendship. I also say, call - don't text. You should be able to talk this through if you're great friends.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
Thank you both for your advice. We met for lunch and resolved the issue. While we are good friends, our friendship is still kind of new, so we are still getting used to one another. I guess from now on I just need to watch what I say and mind my own business, even when someone asks for advice. I'm learning that many people don't really want advice, they just want someone to agree with them.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I find the best thing when a misunderstanding like that occurs is to just step away. She called you out on it, and you got defensive, its a flight or fight instinct, and the reasoning part of the brain gets dulled a bit. Stepping away and coming back the next day I find always helps. It gives everyone time to calm down, reassess the situation and see things for what they are, not what they thought they were haha. I'm glad things worked out for you!

NellyBell

Registered Member
Thank you both for your advice. We met for lunch and resolved the issue. While we are good friends, our friendship is still kind of new, so we are still getting used to one another. I guess from now on I just need to watch what I say and mind my own business, even when someone asks for advice. I'm learning that many people don't really want advice, they just want someone to agree with them.
I'm so glad to hear that you've resolved the issue! That will happen; there's definitely an adjustment period for new friends and it's good that you were able to resolve the issue despite being in those tenuous waters. Ha, I've learned that too. People just want you to commiserate with them.