• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Feeding the Wildlife

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have been feeding the Hummingbirds for years but the amount of sugar I go through can be astronomical. I don't know where they all come from. Still its worth it because I love watching them fight.:) A few times I've had to come to the rescue to keep one hummer from killing another one.

In the winter if we get a lot of snow I also like to put out some seeds for the birds and/or clear some snow off of an area so they can get to the ground.

I'm probably feeding deer too and just don't know it. They probably help the horses with their feed and salt block.

Do you like to feed the wildlife? Have any interesting stories?

Funniest looking hummingbird I've ever seen.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What is that, a squirrel? Haha

When I was hiking in northern California a few years ago, there were several nights where I was woken up by deer roaming around my campsites. I figured out that they were attracted to my urine spots, presumably for the salt. So maybe that's feeding the wildlife in a way?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ha ha, its a raccoon. He has figured out how to get the water out. No wonder it can cost so much just to feed a few hummers.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I live in a city so there's no wildlife to feed unfortunately. If I lived in a more country area, I would probably leave some bowls of water out. I live in a very dry area, and our Summer's are deadly and water is often the biggest issues for the wildlife here.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
One summer we were having a major drought and I put small bowls of water out for the lizards.

That was the summer I also was going through at least 20 pounds of sugar a week trying to feed the hummers. I started that spring out with one quart feeder and it became so over run with birds I put out a second, then it was only a week before I put out a third and filling them three times a day.

Anytime I was outside I had birds flying around my head or looking in the windows at me if the feeders were empty. I had one follow me in the house one time. I was glad when they all went south for the winter.

Sian

Registered Member
We have a lot of wildlife here too, Hilander. Lots of deer come on our five acres, we hear coyotes and used to have foxes in a den. I've seen a few jackrabbits, cottontails live under the house, the occasional skunk goes by. We get hummers too but not so many as you, do you live in the mountains? I've heard reports of elk, mountain lions, bobcats, and bears. I put bags of corn and a bale of hay out on the north side of the house once when my father-in-law lived with us so he could look out and see the deer. He enjoyed it but then I heard it was illegal to feed the wildlife here. The deer go right in town and camp on people's lawns and are often considered quite a nuisance.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
@Sian yes I do and just an hour or so drive south of me is farming country. My mom use to live there and had almost no hummers because of crop dusting I suspect.

Lately I have been feeding what I thought was just a stray cat. I finally bought a trail camera, its a pair of foxes, I think, and a cat.

Impaired

Registered Member
My mother in law lived along side Pennypack park. She had bird feeders at first, and then she started feeding wild cats which led to what we called, "Feeding the Wolves"

She lived in a retirement home and wound up with all this leftover food, mostly half of her lunch she didn't want. She would tear this up into bits and make two piles - one by the bird feeders and the others at the edge of the park - both right outside her window.

She would add any leftovers she had that were no longer good enough for humans but not spoiled.

After she put these out she would sit in the window and watch the animals come; squirrels, skunks, ground hogs, rabbits, foxes and coyote.

Quite often, predator and prey would sit side by side happily eating.

We have bird feeders and hummingbird feeders. I do enjoy the show.