Federal judge rules denial of health coverage to same-sex spouse unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Federal judge rules denial of health coverage to same-sex spouse unconstitutional | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

Thoughts? Legal opinions?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I don't think the 9th Circuit Court gets to decide to overturn DOMA - their just a necessary step on the way to the Supreme Court.

Although it seems a little absurd that any time I hear about a ruling like this, if it's on the state level, I assume it's CA, and if it's on the circuit court level, I assume it's the 9th. Admittedly, I probably hear about them more since I live on the West coast, but still, it seems not quite right that those courts would have such a reputation for voting in a certain manner. They stick out.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. ILOVEUSA911

ILOVEUSA911 Registered Member

I don't agree with same sex marriages, but I do believe in civil unions, giving same sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

The DOMA gives gay couples in civil unions or even full state-sanctioned marriages about 1,000 fewer rights- which seems that in the next couple years will lead to a Supreme Court fight involving the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment.