• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fear Of Flying...

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Does anyone here have a fear of flying? If so, how did you get over your fear or how do you conquer your fear? Do you do anything differently when it pertains to flying over water?

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
I have yet to go on an airplane. People always assume it's because I have a fear of flying, heights, etc. I don't though. I can't wait to see what it's like. :) As long as I'm not the one in control of a vehicle, I'm good. (I have PTSD from seeing a bus collide with a semi. I was supposed to be on the bus. Therefore, I don't even drive).

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I think I was 21 the first time I ever flew. From St. John's to Halifax, to Toronto and final stop in Calgary. It took about 30 hours from start to finish with a 13+ hour layover in Toronto. First time off of the province... I was sitting in the middle of Pearson International with my hockey bag filled with everything to my name... stayed awake the entire time. Never used the bathroom once... A nice elderly couple gave me a loonie in Toronto so I could get a cart to carry my luggage (I was flat broke). They also let me sit in the window seat from Halifax to Toronto since it was my first ever flight...

Flying isn't the problem... it's falling out of the sky and the sudden stop at the end that scares me :p

It was pretty awesome looking down at the Great Lakes...

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
I think I was 21 the first time I ever flew. From St. John's to Halifax, to Toronto and final stop in Calgary. It took about 30 hours from start to finish with a 13+ hour layover in Toronto. First time off of the province... I was sitting in the middle of Pearson International with my hockey bag filled with everything to my name... stayed awake the entire time. Never used the bathroom once... A nice elderly couple gave me a loonie in Toronto so I could get a cart to carry my luggage (I was flat broke). They also let me sit in the window seat from Halifax to Toronto since it was my first ever flight...

Flying isn't the problem... it's falling out of the sky and the sudden stop at the end that scares me :p

It was pretty awesome looking down at the Great Lakes...
JESUS. That is some flight... I know that a lot of people hate layovers. So, a 13-hour one is brutal.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
My first ever flight was Ottawa towards Sweden. It was a 16 hour flight and by the time I got to customs I had no more voice. Try explaining to the officer who hardly spoke English why you're entering his country in those circumstances lol. Not pleasent to say the least. Actually heading to St John Newfoundland in the summer...will have a 12 hour layover in Halifax with a 1 year old...I can't wait sighh lol.

As for the topic, I don't fear flying but if there's no good movies to watch I get extremely bored.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have any fears when it comes to flying. Some times I may get a bit nervous when there's heavy turbulence but nothing too serious.

I won't go as far as saying I love flying, but I don't really mind it at all.

Sabby

My ex was a flight attendant, and she told me 90% of all crashes happen in the first 10 minutes. So needless to say, takeoff makes me nervous. But once we're up there bumpy or not, it's just like being on a Greyhound bus

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Sabby said:
My ex was a flight attendant, and she told me 90% of all crashes happen in the first 10 minutes. So needless to say, takeoff makes me nervous. But once we're up there bumpy or not, it's just like being on a Greyhound bus
That's what I've said. I prefer sitting in the aisle seat and when the plane hits turbulence, I tell myself I'm on a bus and that we're hitting potholes. That method usually works.

I read the other day that the odds of being in a crash are something like 432,000 to 1.