• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

FDA might ban trans fats

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Trans fats may be on their way out of U.S. foods.

The Food and Drug Administration has announced plans to have so-called "partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs)," which are the main source of artificial trans fats in processed foods, to be classified as food additives. That means they won't be allowed to be used in food without authorization of the FDA, which may effectively ban the substances.

FDA eyes ban on trans fats due to heart disease risk - CBS News
Since trans fats are so bad for you and aren't considered safe to use in food it should of been banned a long time ago. People lead busy lives and aren't likely to give up the foods that have this in it. Not everyone has time to make everything from scratch. I hope the FDA does this, Americans will be healthier for it and have less heart attacks.

Taliesin

Registered Member
This is a very good move. Trans fats are very very bad for you, and should never have been used in the first place. I always make sure that there is none in anything that I buy. You can't be too careful.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm not completely sure how I feel about this. On one hand they're clearly terrible for you and cause a lot of problems, on the other hand, a lot of other stuff is really bad for you and the government doesn't tell you that you can't eat that (I think people should be more aware of what they eat, I know that Merc mentioned that somewhere recently). At some point people shouldn't let the government tell them what they can and can't eat. (this can turn into a slippery slope as you can see)

I do agree that they're really bad for you and I do think that people need to stop but I'm questioning the legality.

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
My stance on this is pretty basic. They don't have the constitutional power to do it, period. Do they have the power to ban smoking too? Alcohol? Certain types of meat? The more we let the government control, the less freedom we have.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
So are you saying companies should be allowed to put anything in food they want to. Remember Coke use to contain cocaine.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I trust that the government has my best interests in mind but I don't trust that the people selling me this crap with this crap in it, do.

So whatever works. Get rid of this stuff.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I trust that the government has my best interests in mind but I don't trust that the people selling me this crap with this crap in it, do.

So whatever works. Get rid of this stuff.
I can't tell if your trust in the government is satirical or not. But again, when did we give this power to the federal government? Or did they just assume the power?

So are you saying companies should be allowed to put anything in food they want to. Remember Coke use to contain cocaine.
Legally yes, under federal law. As long as it's not poison or something because that would be murder. And are trans fat poison? Not really. I mean sure they can cause damage overtime like alcohol, smoking, sugar, salt,...the list is endless. Should we ban those too? We all draw the line somewhere, do I personally think we should allow drugs like cocaine in soft drinks? Of course not, but again where is the legal argument for the federal government to have this power? Let me be clear, states certainly have this power (okay granted I don't have all the individual constitutions memorized) but the federal government under the constitution does not.

I didn't mean to politically hijack this thread but I get annoyed when poeple automatically assume the government should do something it clearly does not have the authority to do. Will we let our masters run every aspect of our lives? If you are willing to immediately give even a minute detail such as this without hesitation, just think about the slippery slope we are on.
------
But I forgot, since health care will soon be the sole responsibility of the state, we might as well also control what people can eat so we can save ourselves money on their healthcare...the government is smarter than us anyway...so they might as well just tell us how to live our lives anyway. Let's just put our trust in government...as it has never taken something too far or screwed anything up...

I'd prefer a monopoly in the government any day over an oligopoly or more competitive market in the private sector any day...wait...:rolleyes:

Should we give up our freedoms one inch at a time...? Where will that leave us? When has government gotten smaller or given up power? A small list indeed.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Trans fats weren't around for most of human history. I have no problem giving them the axe.

dDave

V.I.P.
Trans fats weren't around for most of human history. I have no problem giving them the axe.
Neither were corn syrups, artificial sweeteners, and tons of other crap that many people put into their bodies every day.

I don't have an issue giving trans fats the axe either. The only thing I have an issue with is the government taking power that they don't have and banning it.

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I'm all for it. I'm curious as the extents of the ban though and the damage it may cause to markets and stuff. A lot of things could end up needing to be recalled and then redone, and that would cause problems all around the U.S....