FC Roleplay Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nevyrmoore, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

If you've looked at this thread recently, you may have seen thoughts about setting up a roleplay campaign/group online. I decided to make this thread so that the discussion of pen and paper roleplaying in general can continue in that thread, and the discussion of setting up a group can continue seperately.

Players: We will need a fair number of people interested. Sephy has suggested around 4 - 6 interested parties, which will result in 3 - 5 players and 1 GM. I agree with this, but if anyone else has other ideas for total players, post your thoughts.

System: There are a large range of systems out there to choose from (D&D, GURPS, Shadowrun, Vampire, MechWarrior aka Classic BattleTech RPG, etc). However, as this will be our first campaign, I recommend that we choose an easy-to-learn/play system with some good published scenarios to follow from, and go from there.

How to play: There are a few choices we can do for this. First. we can use a private chat room to play, either through AIM or a website. This will allows us to play together live, but will result in a few people probably being unable to play during designated times. An alternative could be through the forum itself. That way, we can post whenever we want. There's probably a disadvantage to this, but I can't currently think of one. Third, we could use voice chat software, such as teamspeak, ventrilio, or skype. Obviously, the big disadvantage in this would be people who don't have microphones will be unable to play, or will have to rush out and buy one, so I recommend a mixture of text and voice for good measure. Finally, depending on the system we play, we can use a virtual tabletop program, such as OpenRPG. This gives us dice rolls that are seen by everybody, a map to go by during battles and dungeon crawling which can be drawn upon to show strategies, and can include a place to store character sheets.

Character Sheets & Dice Rolls: If we play either D&D 3.5 or Serenity, we can use an online character sheet website called RPG Web Profiler. This will allow the DM and other players to keep track of the PC character sheets. I have put up an example for viewing here.
    While the following website is largely useful for games that use a D20 system, it can also be used for other systems. This is a website called Invisible Castle. It can be used to make dice rolls, and stores dice rolls for later viewing. The website also contains a few methods of generating ability scores. The system itself is based on the die roller found in the online virtual tabletop software, OpenRPG. An example of the system in use can be found here, an initiative check for the above character.

Post here with ideas or to show an interest and be added to the list.

Players:
    Storm
    Sephy
    Malificus (under certain circumstances)
    Henskie
    Kazmarov (under certain circumstances)
    Clear Note
    Armin Metrac

2. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I'm willing to play, but only if you go the forum option

3. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Thanks for making the seperate thread for this.

As for number of players I do think 4-6 would be perfect but if there is more interest than that then I am totally for it. We can definitely make it work.

I think that some sort of chat room would be best but for people who don't use it or have access or something then I'm sure we can try doing through the forum or some other way. We will think of something.

As far as character sheet go I think we can print out or own or make one up on the computer for each person to take care of their own stats. Pretty sure we can trust each other not to cheat on character sheets. At least I hope we'd be able to.

Maps and those things I think should be drawn up and the picture hosted somewhere so everyone can easily access the area they are in.

I do think for the first game we should do a scripted scenario. It would help those who have less experience get the hang of things and let everyone see how they interect with each other so if/when we did our own scenario it would flow a lot easier.

As Storm said all suggestions are welcome. If you have an idea then definitely post it. We are all just trying to make this easy and fun.

Well, those are my thoughts. Comments on that?

4. Nevyrmoore

Character sheets, I have a website here called RPG Web Profiler. This website hosts D&D character sheets, and Senerity character sheets. An example can be found here. Members can create their characters and update the sheet online.

*EDIT*
    And I FINALLY found that dice roller! A dice roller website called Invisible Castle. I consider this a good choice for a dice roller, as not only does it roll dice, it keeps records of said dice rolls. For example, I have just rolled 2d20 and 1d10+5. The results were 20 and 16 for the d20s, and 1+5 for the d10. And to prove it, go here.

5. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Oh wow these are perfect! I like the character sheet system where you can keep up with it online, and that dice roller is neat. Cool how it keeps up with previous rolls.

6. Nevyrmoore

The only downside (I can see) to the RPG Web Profiler is the fact it currently only supports D&D and Serenity, which doesn't make it useful if we use a system other than those two.

7. Henskie

Henskie The Super Pimp of GF

I am willing to learn if you'll have me

8. Nevyrmoore

I'm currently getting hold of a bunch of D&D 3.0/3.5 and Modern D20 stuff, so if anyone wants to have a look, give me a shout.

*EDIT*
    Now I have them, I can give you a partial list of what I have. When I've fully looked through the .pdf files, I'll give you a full list. Once again, give me a shout if you want to look at any of these. The ones marked with (B) have bookmarks.

D20 Modern Books
    -D20 Modern Core Rulebook (B)
    -Urban Arcana Campaign Setting (B)
    -D20 Past (B)
    -D20 Future (B)

D&D 3.5 Books
    -Player's Handbook (B)
    -Dungeon Master's Guide (B)
    -Monster Manual (B)
    -Expanded Psionics Handbook (B)
    -Complete Adventurer
    -Complete Arcane
    -Complete Divine (B)
    -Complete Warrior (B)

Miscellaneous
    -D&D 3.5 Standard Character Sheet
    -D&D Expanded Psionics Character Sheets
    -D20 Modern Character Sheets
    -D20 Modern GM Screen
    -D20 Future Character Sheet

9. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I'll play, only if we do IRC, so probably this won't be happening for me.

Just putting it out there, IRC is a damn good way to run a roleplay.

10. Clear_Note

Clear_Note Demon King/Sith Warrior

I dun really get this, but i'll join.