• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

FBI Memo from 1950--Roswell--UFO?

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
The Federal Bureau of Investigation, under the Freedom of Information Act, has recently released an internal memo written on 3-29-1950 from Guy Hottel to his superior director.

Here's the PDF link:
FBI — Guy Hottel Part 1 of 1

The memo says,

An investigator for the Air Forces stated that three so-called flying saucers had been recovered in New Mexico. They were described as being circular in shape with raised centers, approximately 50 feet in diameter. Each one was occupied by three bodies of human shape but only 3 feet tall, dressed in metallic cloth of a very fine texture. Each body was bandaged in a manner similar to the blackout suits used by speed flyers and test pilots.

According to Mr. ------ informant, the saucers were found in New Mexico due to the fact that the Government has a very high-powered radar set-up in that area and it is believed the radar interferes with the controlling mechanism of the saucers.

No further evaluation was attempted by SA ------ concerning the above.

March 29, 1950
I'm open-minded, but an insufferable skeptic. Thus, I'm withholding immediate judgement. I know "aliens" have come up on GF before, as well as the ethical and practical limitations of what governments should/should not share. But whether this is a fact or a fabrication, how do you feel about this memo? How much do you trust the freedom of information act to deliver on its promise?

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
How much do you trust the freedom of information act to deliver on its promise?
When it comes to extra-terrestrials? Completely.

Because despite what the conspiracy theorists so desperately want you to believe, there really is no good reason whatsoever for any government, ever, to hide the fact from us. Conspiracy theorists act as though it were inexpensive and easy to keep something hidden from 300 million people. It's not.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
Update on this story:

Going deeper...

What's more interesting to me are the side-stories behind it. UFOs, government theories, etc... are awesome to ponder in their own respect, but I feel that these opportunities are avenues to discover the truths about other historical antecedents.

Maccabee is a renowned investigator of UFO photographs and visual evidence.

"First of all, the document was in this official FOIA release, so I have no doubt that the document is true," Maccabee told AOL News.

As to the contents of the document, "it appears this was the result of a story told by (oil scam artist) Silas Newton, during a lecture at the University of Denver on March 8, 1950 (two weeks before the document was written)," Maccabee explained.

"Newton tried to convince some potential oil company investors that he had secret alien technology that could be used to locate underground oil.
The underlying (alleged) history of oil scam-artistry interests me more than the UFO/government theories.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Maybe they're not aliens but just (and this may sound like another out there theory) a glimpse of a parallel world living in the future. I can imagine why government would try to hide or deny information/intelligence received that aren't fully explainable yet, to avoid looking incompetent or causing mass panic.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I'll be blunt. I think this is a memo pulled out of the arse by government officials. Area 51 works on military tech, and it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to assume that these UFOs were military related. Now, they can't exactly announce to the world "Yeah, this is what we're working on", because that would remove any advantage the US army would have. Instead, they let the public think it's goddamn aliens and the secrecy surrounding whatever projects were done is safe.