FBI investigating Foley e-mail to teens

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/15656182.htm

This may very well cost the Republicans the House in an already tight race in the November election. The Republicans have more money, but the media is all this and George Allen in Virginia, giving Dems a lot of breathing room to work. What do you think about how this whole thing panned out? Do you think it changes the political terrain for November?

Kaz

2. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

Yea, I saw this on the news it really makes you think of the sick kind of people you can find on the internet, reminesent of Bill Kamal, and worst of all it happened in Florida.

3. Kind of makes me ashamed of my home state, that we elected people like him into office.

But he isn't from Jacksonville, so I'm not personally offended.

BTW, how did the emails get leaked? I read about a blog broadcasting them, but no mention how they got there. Did the person receiving the email forward it to them? If so, then why not the police? Or did the blogs get their hands on it illegally for a juicy story?

4. Kazmarov

I don't know, if he sent them over an IM service in and around the House...there may have been suspicion, confiscation of the chat logs and emails, and releasing as evidence to the media.

I honestly don't know though.

EDIT: New story on the Net is up. Foley apparently tried to meet the page.

Source

The continued worsening of the situation, as well as the surprising legitimacy of the evidence, has really put a stall on Election Day races. The Republicans got money to spend down the stretch, but this could continue for days, perhaps weeks; and give plenty of free smear advertising to the Dems.

It's covering CNN and most other news agencies. The tragic school shooting pushed it away for a while, but this new story will cover the media again.

Kaz

5. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I can't stand that... they'd rather tollerate behavior like that and remain the majority than they would report it and lose the lead. Well, now it's been discovered, and it's falling on them harder because of it. I say it's a good thing... if we can get a Dem lead again, it would be just lovely.

6. Kazmarov

Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert is in beyond hot water over this.

Their excuse is legitamite: they knew of some of the emails, but they weren't nearly as explicit or ominous as the others. I asked my father and he remarked of an important thing:

If there's something wrong, there should be at least an informal investigation. Ask questions of his staff, the pages, and Foley himself. There should have been some responsibility to make them gauge whether or not this was a tip of the proverbial iceberg. They just dismissed it, and it a)got more dangerous to the pages and more criminal of Foley, and b) established backlash.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2006/10/fox_fixes_foley.html

This is story of the Fox News controversy about the O'Reily Factor using this image:

[​IMG]

Which is, of course, a contradiction to reality.

Kaz

7. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I wonder how InTheNet would try to back up Fox on that one... "no, they're not biased, they just completely change the facts"

8. Kazmarov

Hmm.

Thus if the fact is "Mark Foley ran, served, and is under investigation as a Republican congressman from Florida" which is indisputable, than the D-FL remark, of course, makes Fox thus the antonym of "fair and balanced".

They report, they decide, they propogate.

Kaz

9. Dr. Fresh

Dr. Fresh Mmmm.... Lesbians.

This just disgusts me. THe Republican party didn't need another problem for them and tarnishing their already tainted image. It just disgusts me that they knew about this and yet, tried to cover it up rather then help these children and give a punishment to Foley earlier.