• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Favre vs Manning

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Out of all the sports it seems as if the football section here on GF is the most active area.

So with that said I am going to try and get some chatter going and I'll start with this thread...

Peyton Manning has 1 Super Bowl win (vs Chicago) but has also lost to New Orleans and Seattle.

Brett Favre has 1 Super Bowl win (vs New England) but also has lost to Denver.

Both of these guys have put up some of the better numbers in NFL history but when it comes to the playoffs they haven't done quiet as well. So I guess my question is when it comes to the playoffs who would you rather have leading your team? Favre or Manning?

Konshentz

Konshentz
Gross. Can I see neither? Haha.

Both in their primes? I'm taking Favre. I'm not a big fan of him and I actually sort of hate him for the retirement bullshit but he has the better playoff record. Peyton Manning for whatever reason shrinks during the playoffs. In the regular season, I pick a prime Manning over just about everyone else. But if I want a ring, I gotta look elsewhere.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Does anybody know their overall playoff records? If I go by the eye test I think I'd still go with Manning but its tough to say for sure. He did get to more Super Bowls than Favre did.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wow...that is really damn close haha

Another thing to consider though is that football isn't only about what you can do...if your defense sucks it doesn't matter how good you are at QB.

And if you cheat like Tom Brady you can win more and more :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Tough question.

I'd probably take pre-30 year old Brett Favre over Peyton Manning for a playoff game. Otherwise I'd take Manning for sure.

I've always hated Favre, but in fairness to him, he played against some pretty damn good competition.

Lost on the road to three stacked Cowboys teams in '93, 94, and 95.

Won the Super Bowl in '96.

Lost to Elway's Broncos in '97.

Lost on the road to the 49ers with Steve Young and Jerry Rice in '98. This was the game Terrell Owens caught the game-winning TD at the end.

Those are the years I felt like Favre was at his best, and I don't think there's any shame in coming away with only one Super Bowl during those six seasons. After that point though, I think it's fair to say he started to choke in big games.

Manning played on a lot of great teams that went 12-4 or better in the regular season that choked in the playoffs, often in their first playoff game at home to mediocre teams.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth NFL 6
Babe_Ruth NFL 4
Babe_Ruth Sports 8
Babe_Ruth NFL 9
Millz NFL 14