• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Favourite Sports Commentary?

wooly

I am the woolrus
Good commentators can make great moments in sport even more historic and memorable, what are your favourite moments of commentary in sporting history?

Definitely my favourite moment comes from the Arsenal vs Everton match in 1998. it was the title winning match for us and the 4th goal was just the most awesome and... bizarre way to win imaginable! Tony Adams, while a fantastic defender, not known for his attacking prowess, making a fantastic run all the way from the back, played through by Bould and controls the ball before firing it in with a fantastic left foot volley that RVP would be proud of. Martin Tyler's "WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT!?" really does sum up the moment fantastically!

Tony Adams scores vs Everton.flv - YouTube

What are your favourite and most memorable moments from the commentation station?

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's so many, but for me it has to be when Bobby Thompson hit a Home Run in the 1951 Playoffs for the New York Giants. They call it "The Shot Heard Around the World"

Here's what Russ Hodges said when Thompson hit the home run:

Bobby Thomson...up there swingin'...He's had two out of three, a single and a double, and Billy Cox is playing him right on the third-base line...One out, last of the ninth...Branca pitches...Bobby Thomson takes a strike called on the inside corner...Bobby hitting at .292...He's had a single and a double and he drove in the Giants' first run with a long fly to center...Brooklyn leads it 4-2...Hartung down the line at third not taking any chances...Lockman with not too big of a lead at second, but he'll be runnin' like the wind if Thomson hits one...Branca throws...[sound of bat meeting ball]
There's a long drive...it's gonna be, I believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands! The Giants win the pennant and they're goin' crazy, they're goin' crazy! HEEEY-OH!!!'' [ten-second pause for crowd noise]
I don't believe it! I don't believe it! I do not believe it! Bobby Thomson...hit a line drive...into the lower deck...of the left-field stands...and this blame place is goin' crazy! The Giants! Horace Stoneham has got a winner! The Giants won it...by a score of 5 to 4...and they're pickin' Bobby Thomson up...and carryin' him off the field!

Here's the video of the play:

The Shot Heard 'Round The World - YouTube

Just amazing every time I hear it.

wooly

I am the woolrus
That's an awesome one, the commentator definitely gave it a momentous feeling.

The way he repeated that one phrase reminded me a bit of the dutch commentator for World Cup '98 when Dennis Bergkamp scored against Argentina in the last minute to put Holland through to the semi-final. Though this one is more hilarious than anything else!! Definitely a "goalgasm" if ever there was one :p

Netherlands - Argentina: Bergkamp Goal 1998 (HD) - YouTube

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I can't think of a specific call right at the moment (I'll come back & post those later), but anything involving Gus Johnson or Randy Hahn will almost automatically land at the top of my list. They make everything better. Ha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Another that I enjoy and is pretty legendary in it's own right is at the end of the USA/Russia game game during the 1980 Winter Olympics. No one thought the Americans could beat the might Russians, but they did, and it's the biggest win of their history...I'm sure most of you American Hockey fans know the story.

Known as the Miracle on Ice. Al Michaels was calling the game and this is what he said.

1980 USA vs. USSR Hockey Semi-Finals - YouTube

The funny thing is that he wasn't really prepared on what he would say, it just came out. When that happens, you know that some one is a great commentator.

Last edited:

dobzy

Registered Member
Babe_Ruth, I was coming in this thread to mention the USA-Russia game commentary, but you beat me to it! :)