• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Favourite Playground Games

Bliss

Sally Twit
What games did you enjoy to play with your friends when you were in school?

I don't remember the name of this one but it had 'clockwork' in the title I believe. So there'd be a group of people, one person would take each of the other people by the hand and spin them round really fast. Once they'd got quite fast they'd let go and the person would go flying of course. Then where they stopped and whatever position they were in they would have to stand still. The person that spun each person round would say, "When the clock ticks you'll be a farmer" for example. Basically they'd look at how the person looked and tell them to act out whatever that was, based on their position. So when 'the clock started' again every person would be acting out something stupid and the person that spun everyone would have to pick the worst person and they'd go out each round until there was a winner. It was such a laugh.

Zenheizer

needs practice
I'd need a video demo, Bliss. I cannot understand the process, I'm a very visual learner.

On another note, I loved lava monster on the playground. It's like marco polo, except you don't say the name and you taunt the monster. All the while maneuvering around the playground using your acrobatic skills to avoid being caught and avoid the lava below in the woodchips or sand. Basically you were confined to the jungle gym while the blind monster tried to tag you.

Injuries were a necessity to the game of course.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I used to play tag, hide-n-seek, capture the flag, dodge ball and lava during recess. I miss those times. Man, it sucks growing up. Haha.

But then again, when we got a little older, tag & hide-n-seek had a baby called flashlight tag - which was more fun because it's easier to hide in the dark. Ha. And once we got a little older than that we used that as a cover and paired off with the girls we liked and made out in the bushes. :lol:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I used to enjoy playing British Bulldogs in school but it has since been banned. For those not aware of the game essentially the idea was thus:

Take twenty one people, put twenty people in a line on one side in a designated are and one in the other. The twenty people run towards the one person to get to the other side. Whoever is caught is then put on the side of the catcher. The game finished when all twenty one were caught.

It got banned due to the amount of violence and the fact that atleast one person would come out injured but it was all in good fun :)

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I preferred to play indoor games during 'wet play' (srsly, that's what they called it when it was too rainly to go outdoors during lunch :lol:)

But outside on the playground, I liked good old cops and robbers. Anything that wasn't too competitive, mild strategy involved, and mainly just running around like an idiot.

Stuck in the mud was probably my favourite, thinking about it. Like tag, but you freeze when you get touched and stand like a starfish until a team mate runs past and untags you.

Then there was kiss chase! Just on the jumper/sweater, mind :p

Impact

V.I.P.
I used to enjoy playing British Bulldogs in school but it has since been banned. For those not aware of the game essentially the idea was thus:

Take twenty one people, put twenty people in a line on one side in a designated are and one in the other. The twenty people run towards the one person to get to the other side. Whoever is caught is then put on the side of the catcher. The game finished when all twenty one were caught.

It got banned due to the amount of violence and the fact that atleast one person would come out injured but it was all in good fun :)
I fucking loved this game as a kid, but we called it Bull Rush, and instead of tagging the person, you would tackle them, like a rugby tackle. It sucked when it got banned, the bloody noses were all in good fun :shifteyes:

Other than that all the obvious ones like tag, stuck in the mud, kiss chase. Damn, I miss being a kid

lol Bex. I remember wet play. Thinking about it, I don't know how the teachers kept straight faces.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I almost spit my coffee out at work at "wet play." We called it recess or if it was raining it was simply called, inside recess, haha.

My friends and I went through phases on the playground. One year we played soccer, one year basketball, then it was 4 square (I don't know if anybody knows what that is haha), and a whole bunch of other things like tag and all that stuff. The outdoor ones were more fun but inside was cool too although I can't remember what we even did. I recall playing card games sometimes.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Playing sports all the time, two main ones were Flag and the other one was dodgeball, that was in grade school. When I was in High School, I spent all my time in the gym playing Basketball during my recess.

Flag was always my favorite game since I was so good at it.

During winter we used to play King of the Hill on a huge snow bank.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I remember playing tag and kickball the most during recess. I think in 5th grade we played football everyday.

Dabs

Registered Member
In school days, I can remember playing hop-skotch and jump rope.