• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Favourite NBA teams, and why you like them

M1GO

Just wanted to know what your favourite NBA teams are, and why you like them...

I'm a big Raptor fan, probably because it's the first NBA team that represented the city I grew up in, and they've really embodied the role of underdog through the years.

I'm also a fan of the Spurs because growing up, I really admired David Robinson as a person and a player (even though he was abused repeatedly by Olajuwon in the post). Tim Duncan carried on the tradition of being a fundamentally sound post player who was also a good guy... and it doesn't hurt that they play really good team ball to boot.

For some reason, I'm also drawn to the Warriors, fueled by the free-wheeling past teams like Run TMC, the Baron Davis era, and now, with Steph Curry at the helm. It just seems like a franchise that wants to put out fun, entertaining, high-scoring basketball.

What are yours, and why?

knickstape2107

Registered Member
I'm a Knicks fan. I watched basketball for awhile, but didn't start watching it seriously until I was like 10 and when I did start watching, I fell in love w/ the Knicks. Idk why exactly, though. I just started watching and immediately became a fan of them. I live about 3 hours away from NY and Philly, but I always hated Philly sports fans and teams.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
As a young kid I watched the Chicago Bulls, but who wouldn't when Michael Jordan was owning the NBA at the time? As soon as the Raptors were introduced to the NBA world I became a fan. At the time it was the only team that was televised and I was still learning the game that we call Basketball. As I grew older I became more knowlegeable and decided that the Raptors are going to be the team I devote my time too. Haven't looked back since.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
My answer is pretty similar to Dickey's since we used to watch it together on the couch. Good ol' NBA on NBC. Those were the days.

Anyway, like him, I started watching the Chicago Bulls, and fell in love with Michael Jordan. Then the NBA decided to expand to teams in Canada. One in Toronto, one in Vancouver. I started following the Raptors. Fell in love with Mighty Mouse. He was so small, but was tough and had no fear of driving to net. Then came 1998. Raptors draft Jamison fourth overall, Warriors draft Carter fifth overall, then the deal of this franchise happens - Vince Carter becomes a Raptor.

I was a Raptors fan before he came to Toronto, but I became a hardcore fan when he joined the team. I followed Vince while he was at UNC so I knew what type of player he was, knew that he would bring excitement to the team, winning culture. And, he did not disappoint. He was a highlight reel from the get go.

I'm sure you know what happens next, and I don't need to re-visit.

In the last few years I've still watched as many games as I could, but that passion VC brought to the team was long gone. When the Raptors started winning again last season, it somewhat came back. If the Raptors can continue improving and eventually make the second round of the Playoffs, then there's a strong possibility that will all come back. Which I would love, because I miss it.

Rick2583

I had a friend that was a few years older then me that introduced me to Boston Celtic basketball. Told me who was who & what numbers they wore & I got hooked. And it was a lot easier when they kept winning year after year. So as a kid, I rooted for guys named Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, Havlicek etc. And I've been a fan ever since.