Favourite 10 Albums of The Last Decade

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I've been working on a list of my favourite albums from the last 10 years and I finally came up with a final draft. Please feel free to add your own lists and get some discussions going.

In chronological order:

Sum 41 - All Killer No Filler (2001)

Back in 2001 I was all about the pop rock. I must have listened to this album a million times. This definitely marked the point in my life where I actively took an interest in music. My tastes would get pretty heavy in my later teens before mellowing out again a few years ago but this one definitely started it all.

Greenwheel - Soma Holiday (2002)

I don't think I got this album the year it came out. I heard a song on the Spider-man soundtrack called Shelter and that prompted me to get this album. It's still one of my favourites. Tracks like Breathe and Sustain You are often revisited on my ipod.

Coheed And Cambria - The Second Stage Turbine Blade (2002)

This is definitely one of those Marmite bands. You either love or hate them, I fall into the former catagory. Their unusual blend of progressive rock with poppy tunes breathed life into a genre that was becoming very stale. They later became a lot more Metalish and I enjoy that as well but the first album is what I favour.

The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart (2004)

Not only does this album have possibley the coolest title ever, it has some amazing songs. It never seems like these guys get enough credit but I suppose to each his own :lol:

Jimmy Eat World - Futures (2004)

Most people who know JEW know what they're all about. Big catchy anthems mixed in with some seriously moving melancholic pieces. Futures is no exception but it seems to hold together so much better than any of their other albums.

Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me (2006)

This is definitely post punk rockers, Brand New's most mature album. Jessie Lacey has always had a talant for writing smart vocals but it's here that they really take shape.

Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City (2007)

When it comes to these guys, most people really rate the first album. However it's their second one that holds a place in my heart. It's one of those few albums that I can just listen to all the way through without skipping.

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle (2007)

All of Biffy's albums could have a spot on my list but I decided to pick Puzzle because it's one of their most accesible albums. There are so many great songs on it that I couldn't leave it out. Songs like Machines and Folding Stars still manage to move me. If anyone was looking to get into this band, I'd recommend they started with this one.

We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery (2008)

If you're looking for some really catchy hooks mixed into some synthy pop rock you can't go wrong with this album. These are another example of a band with a few albums that all could have made my top 10 but I've definitely listened to this one the most. The lead single "After Hours" is one of my all time favourite songs ever.

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (2009)

NME voted this their number 1 album of the year so I thought I'd take a gamble and check it out. I was hooked from track 1. This band really have a lot to offer and I urge you to check them out if you're in a musical rough patch and craving something new.

So there you go. It's weired watching my musical taste evolution laid out like that :lol:

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Some interesting music in there Alt.

Here's mine, in no particular order

Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture (2004)

My favourite album by them, and probably my favourite from this entire list. I absolutely adore these guys. I can listen to their entire discography for days without anything else and not get bored, but this album tops it for me.

Disturbed - The Sickness (2000)

Not sure I can include this, as technically it isn't the last decade, but i'm including it anyway.

My favourite Disturbed album to date, I can listen to this at any time, in any mood and I love it.

Five Finger Death Punch - War is the Answer (2009)

I played this album so much, I even got my mum hooked on them.

Blindspott - Blindspott (2002)

My first taste of NZ music when I moved over here in 2003, and it got me hooked on them. At the time, these guys were huge over here.

Salmonella Dub - Inside the Dub Plates (2001)

Although I didn't start listening to this album in 2001, it's still one of my favourite albums due to the good memories it brings back when I listen to it

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour (2005)

The album that got me into d'n'b and most definitely holds a place in my CD collection.

I'm having issues thinking of 4 more to add. No doubt more will come to me when I get home and look at my CD collection, but that's it for now.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
You're quite the rocker Imp, I had no idea LOL. I feel like I should also give a nod to the first 2 Killers albums. I love both but had to draw a line somewhere.

Here is my list, in no order at all and most likely missing a few that deserve to be up there.

The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem (2000)

I was a HUGE Eminem fan back in 2000 (even bigger than I am now), so this was definitely a great album for me. Not only is it Eminem's best CD to date, it's also one of the best rap/hip-hop CDs ever made.

Phobia - Breaking Benjamin (2006)

I absolutely love this CD, and the band is definitely a favorite as well. This is one of the few CDs that I really enjoy every single one of the songs on it.

Escape Route - Joe Budden (2009)

I would have much rather put up one of the Mood Muzik CDs, as they are better than more than half the shit that has been put out in the past 5-6 years, but they are mixtapes and I didn't know if those counted? As for this digital album, I definitely enjoyed 12 of the 14 songs a great deal and Budden is easily my favorite rapper nowadays.

Appeal to Reason - Rise Against (2008)

I was pretty late to the party for these guys, but from what I've heard, I like this CD the best. I still have to listen to quite a few more songs of theirs but I love 'Hero of War', 'Whereabouts Unknown', 'From Heads Unworthy' and 'Long Forgotten Songs' from this album.

Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse (2009)

These four rappers together? Of course it made my list. Haha. Lyrically, no one is seeing these guys and I liked every track on here with the exception of 'Cuckoo' (and I blame the beat).

Death is Certain - Royce Da 5'9 (2004)

A super depressing album but one of the best. Definitely a standout album from a standout rapper. I highly recommend this one to any and all rap fans.

Hangover You Don't Deserve - Bowling For Soup (2004)

Definitely enjoy this band and out of all of their albums, this is my favorite.

Draw The Line - David Gray (2009)

I love this CD, very soothing and a bit depressing at times. I look forward to his next one.

Get Rich or Die Tryin' - 50 Cent (2003)

I can't lie, I really enjoyed this CD. And I still occasionally listen to some tracks on it.

Leave a Whisper - Shinedown (2003)

I looveee this CD. Haha.

Last edited:

Daemonic

Registered Member
Not in any order, and my favorites change with my mood so this may not even be accurate by tomorrow morning. I picked these ones because they best fit my music moods lately. :lol:

The Agonist - Only once imagined
(2007)

The Agonist - Lullabies for the dormant mind (2009)

Arch Enemy - Wages of sin (2001)

Arch Enemy - Anthems of rebellion (2003)

Emilie Autumn - Opheliac (2006)

Ayria - Heart for bullets (2008)

The Divine Madness - Secrets (2006)

Cadaveria - In your blood (2007)

Cadaveria - The Shadows' Madame (2002)

Cadaveria - Far away from conformity
(2004)

Edit: Holy hell, I just noticed every album I listed was from a female fronted band. :-o

Last edited:

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Sonnilion, I used to like a bit of Arch Enemy back in my metal days :lol: My favourite track was We Will Rise. It's not really my thing anymore but they had some amazing guitarists.

Eraserhead

Registered Member
1. Michael Jackson - Invincible

2. Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster

3. Spock's Beard - Snow

4. Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

5. Tool - Lateralus

6. Cynic - Traced in Air

7. Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe

8. Gorillaz - Demon Days

9. Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

10. Pain of Salvation - BE

Ahhhh I absolutely love things like this...so, in no order, my favorite 10 albums from the last decade would have to be:
Plans--Death Cab for Cutie
These Four Walls--We Were Promised Jetpacks
The Last Resort--Trentemoller
Begin to Hope--Regina Spektor
Fantasies--Metric
Eyes Open--Snow Patrol
A Hundred Million Suns--Snow Patrol
The Dust of Retreat--Margot and the Nuclear So and So's
Sink or Swim--The Gaslight Anthem
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning--Bright Eyes

So yeah...that's them =]

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Plans is an amazing album lovely94! I don't think there's a track on there I don't like but "What Sarah Said" is definitely my favourite. I think overall I prefer Transatlantacism though.

I also love Metric. Good choices :thumbsup:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
All right, I'll play along! This is very hard to do, but I'll narrow it down to these (in no particular order):

Flëur - Всё вышло из-под контроля [Ukraine, 2004]

NamNamBulu - Distances [Germany, 2003]

God is An Astronaut - The End of the Beginning [Ireland, 2002]

Yann Tiersen - Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain [France, 2001]

Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle [USA, 2002]

Amanda Jenssen - Killing My Darlings [Sweden, 2008]

Rome - Confessions D'Un Voleur D'Ames [Germany, 2007]

Editors - An End Has a Start [England, 2007]

Soap&Skin - Lovetune For Vacuum [Austria, 2009]

Röyksopp - Melody A.M. [Norway, 2001]

With between 10-50 more honourable mentions.