• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Favorite supporting characters

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
We've had threads for favorite and least favorite actors, so why not favorite supporting roles?

I've recently noticed I tend to take a liking to the supporting roles in tv series specifically. One example is Walter Jr, from Breaking Bad. I think he's a great character and adds just the right dynamic to the story line, and it's portrayed really well imo. Same with Badger, also from Breaking Bad. I just love his character.

I know we all love Daryl Dixon. That one is a no brainer.

Which supporting roles in either tv series or movies do you find you sometimes like even more than the main character?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Debra Morgan from Dexter was always a favourite of mine. I don't think I would have enjoyed the first few seasons as much as I did if she wasn't a part of it.

Daryl, Carol and Glenn from The Walking Dead are all good characters in the show. I had a soft spot for Carol from the start, even more so when she was getting closer to Daryl. Glenn is just funny and Daryl needs no explanation.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Carol has grown on me as the seasons passed as well. She used to be a pretty pathetic character, but by now really holds her own. It's nice to see growth in characters.

I've honestly never liked Debra. I found her too rough around the edges for my liking. But I realize that might be the attraction of her character for other people. She was just too crass and rude and had a foul mouth. :-/

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I love Raj Koothrapali and Howard Wolowitz on the Big Bang Theory. Both of those characters add so much to the show.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Lots of great supporting characters out there...

Charlie Runkle from Californication. A really pathetic man, his interactions with Hank are great.

Debra Morgan from Dexter. How can you not like her? Hot and a mouth like a trucker. Awesome. Haha.

Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead. He's a great character and people love him. The only negative things I have to say is... that poncho. Yikes. Haha.

Bronn from Game of Thrones. I like him more than a lot of the main characters. If I needed protection, he's definitely the first guy I'd look to.

I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more, but that's it for now.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I always thought Kramer was a fabulous supporting character in Seinfeld. You put him in a show of his own and it would be too much and wouldn't work, but within an ensemble... perfection! Short, concentrated bursts of character magic!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Charlie Runkle from Californication. A really pathetic man, his interactions with Hank are great.

Debra Morgan from Dexter. How can you not like her? Hot and a mouth like a trucker. Awesome. Haha.

Bronn from Game of Thrones. I like him more than a lot of the main characters. If I needed protection, he's definitely the first guy I'd look to.
Bronn is awesome. Definitely one of my favorite characters in Game of Thrones.

Charlie and Deb, ugh. Deb was okay, I guess. Charlie was funny the first few seasons, then he just got way too over the top. Like when they make him cry. I hate that.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I didn't care for Deb these last few years, but she was definitely one of my favorite in the first 4 or 5 seasons. I guess you could say that about any of the characters though. Haha.

Runkle definitely has moments that get a little crazy, but it's never bothered me.

Other supporting character that I've liked...

Shane Vendrell (The Shield). I'm in the minority here, everyone seems to hate him. Yeah, he had moments where he was annoying as hell but I thought Walton Goggins did a great job with his character.

Paulie Walnuts & Silvio Dante (The Sopranos). Easily two of the best characters on the show. I was always were entertained when these guys were on the screen, espeically when they were together.

Sean Garrity (Rescue Me). Brought a lot of laughs, usually at his expense, to a show that was for the most part depressing.

Abrams

Registered Member
Hard question... There are many, many good ones but I'll try mention few of them
-Bobby Singer (Supernatural) Quote: "Idjits". Great, well played character. Mentor to Winchester brothers. And one hell of a hunter
-Dr.Wilson (House). No more needing to say
-Spike (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) - Sorry I had too...
-CC (Code Geass) - Both serious and for comic relief.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
My current favorite supporting character is Chibs from Sons of Anarchy (avatar picture). He's just plain awesome, I've loved him in every episode so far. He's just enough of a crazy bastard while remaining loyal and collected.

Also, everyone is only mentioning TV characters, what about movie characters?

My favorite supporting character off the top of my head in a movie is Michael Cain as Alfred in Nolan's Batman trilogy. I thought he was amazing and played the fatherly role perfectly. Not to mention that gut-wrenching scene at the end of Dark knight rises.