• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Favorite sports movies

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know we had threads like these in the past, but I wanted to change it up a bit. Name all your favorite sports movies. Use my list as an example.

Hockey: Miracle
Basketball: Hoosiers
Football: We Are Marshall
Baseball: 61
Golf: Greatest Game Ever Played
Soccer: The Game of Their Lives

That's all I can think of the moment.

Twitch

Registered Member
Hockey: Mystery, Alaska
Basketball: Coach Carter
Football: Remember The Titans
Baseball: The Sandlot
Golf: Caddyshack
Soccer: Don't really have one.. If Green Street Hooligans counts.. xD

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I haven't seen many so I'm changing your list up a bit :p..

Hockey: The mighty ducks
Boxing: Rocky
Bobsledding: Cool Runnings

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
How the heck did I forget boxing, I should be ashamed of myself. My favorite boxing movie is Rocky 4, the other ones are just believe that Rocky 4 is amazing because of Drago, the training scenes and final bout at the end is magnificent.

Twitch

Registered Member
My favorite boxing movie is Cinderella Man. It has a great story behind it.

Jaszibabes

The Instigator
V.I.P.
Hockey: Mighty Ducks. (Only one I've seen, haha.)
Football: Remember the Titans
Boxing: Million Dollar Baby

I haven't seen many, but this will have to do. Haha.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
MILLION DOLLAR BABY (2004) Warner Bros.

Directed by Clint Eastwood
Produced by Clint Eastwood/Paul Haggis/Tom Rosenberg/Albert S. Ruddy
Screenplay by Paul Haggis
Based on stories from “Rope Burns” by F.X. Toole

I really like and respect Clint Eastwood. He’s a guy who has done a whole lot in his career just not for himself but for the movies in general. It’s not many actors who can say that they redefined two genres of film. Under the tutelage of Sergio Leone, Clint Eastwood forever changed the way we looked at The Western. Even today, The Man With No Name remains as the second most recognizable Western icon right behind that of John Wayne. And in the “Dirty Harry” movies, Clint Eastwood not only gave us wonderful action but challenged us as an audience to think and debate about the values and morals his Harry Callahan character was defending and the methods he used in his Judge Dredd-ish pursuit of justice.

And now that he’s getting older, Clint Eastwood is challenging us and himself still. I admire him for realizing that he can’t do the roles he did 30 years ago and he’s finding material that will work for him at not only his age but the maturity level he’s reached. And as a director, he’s scored Oscars and the respect of the industry as an outstanding filmmaker. In MILLION DOLLAR BABY he’s done something that’s also quite unique today: he’s told a story without explosions, meaningless violence, gratuitous sex, foul language or ridiculously overdone usage of CGI and managed to come up with a movie that’s very interesting to watch and admire. I can’t say that MILLION DOLLAR BABY engrossed me from start to finish but I did like it. Not as much as those people who were screaming that it was the “Best Picture Of The Year!!!!” but we’ll get to that in a bit:

Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood) owns a rundown gym somewhere in Los Angeles. It’s the kind of gym that looks as if it’s been there since Sugar Ray Robinson was in diapers and hopeful youngsters work out there, hoping for their shot at glory in the ring. Frankie’s been training a promising contender who one day ups and dumps Frankie as his trainer/manager to sign with a flashy promoter who can get him a title shot at the heavyweight title belt.

Frankie settles into a routine of reading Gaelic poetry and harassing his spiritual advisor Father Horvak (Brian O’Byrne) with ridiculous religious questions that a five year old knows the answer to until the day his partner Eddie Dupris (Morgan Freeman) points out a young woman who has paid her gym dues for six months and has been coming to the gym everyday to work out by herself. She’s Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) and she wants Frankie and nobody else but Frankie to train her. Frankie says no. She’s too old to start boxing and he’s too old to take on another fighter. But Maggie’s desire to fight is like a white-hot tidal wave that washes over the helpless older man. Maggie’s from a family that is such poor white trash they’re despised by the poor white trash that lives over in the trailer park. Boxing is all she knows, all she’s good at and if she doesn’t box, she’s got nothing. Frankie reluctantly agrees to train her and the movie proceeds to relate the spectacularly tragic career of Maggie Fitzgerald in a most unexpected and moving fashion.

I suppose I should say right up front that I don’t think MILLION DOLLAR BABY is the masterpiece that many critics claim it is. I liked it, sure. It’s a good story but it’s the same kind of boxing story that Warner Brothers was telling back in the 1930’s/1940’s. Of course, the fact that the boxer in the movie is female gives the story a different spin and takes it into an unexpected direction but the basic template is the same. Just imagine James Cagney and Pat O’Brien playing the Eastwood and Freeman characters with Jean Arthur in the Hilary Swank role and you’ll get what I’m saying. But I really don’t think that MILLION DOLLAR BABY is a boxing movie at all. It has the world of boxing as a background but it’s really more of a character study of the three main characters.

Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman are totally professional and totally wonderful in their roles. Even though The Wife complained that this was just a version of Freeman’s “Driving Miss Daisy” roles, I thought it was more like “The Shawshank Redemption” since Freeman’s character narrates throughout the film. The two actors demonstrate the same kind of wonderful rapport they had in “Unforgiven” and their conversations are delightful to listen to and I paid attention to them with sheer wonderment. They make you believe without effort that they’ve been friends for years and they’ve reached that point in their relationship where they’re sort of like an old married couple who are comfortable with each other. It’s really something to watch.

Hilary Swank is also extremely good in this movie. I’ve seen her earlier film “Boys Don’t Cry” and I thought it one of the most reprehensible films I had ever seen but I really liked her in this one. Maggie’s desire and hunger comes across as honest and even touching. In fact, I’d have to say that the performances of the three leads is the best reason to go see MILLION DOLLAR BABY, especially during the heart wrenching last 45 minutes of the movie where Eastwood, Freeman and Swank really uncork their acting abilities and give us emotional body blows that make us feel what their characters are going through. It’s some of the best acting I’ve seen in quite a while.

The supporting characters in the movie also give the movie considerable weight and enhance the overall mood of the movie. There’s a slightly retarded boxer named named Danger (Jay Baruchel) who is training diligently for a fight with Tommy ‘The Hitman’ Hearns even though Hearns has been retired for years and Maggie’s family who are the sort of redneck hillbillies that even Jerry Springer would hesitate to put on his show.

The boxing scenes in the movie are good but don’t go expecting to see majestic slugfests like you’ve seen in the ‘Rocky’ or ‘Penitentiary’ movies. Oh, you get the punches that sound like somebody whacking a side of beef with a baseball bat and if boxers in real life fought like boxers in the movies, somebody would be dead from sheer exhaustion by the fourth round but MILLION DOLLAR BABY at least gives you fights that are somewhat realistic. If you’ve ever watched women’s boxing you know that they can be really savage and brutal and under Eastwood’s direction you get a sense of that without it being glamorized. That point is made during one of Maggie’s fights when her nose is broken and Frankie has to fix it in a painfully grisly fashion so she can get back out there and finish her opponent before the blood starts gushing like a firehose.

So should you see MILLION DOLLAR BABY? If you’re a fan of Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Hilary Swank, sure. The three of them turn in outstanding performances and I say again, the movie should be seen just for their work alone. The story takes a very unexpected turn in the last 45 minutes that some might think is unjustified tear jerking but I found it quite moving and deals with a popular issue that is still raging in the courts today. If you’re a boxing fan it’s worth seeing because of the insights you get into the psychology of boxing provided by Freeman’s masterful narration during Maggie’s training scenes and the detailing of life in a boxing gym. And if you just like to be told a good story then by all means go see MILLION DOLLAR BABY. If nothing else, it’s extraordinary filmmaking being done by a actor/director who’s been working in the business longer than most of you reading this have been alive and it shows. Clint Eastwood is in full possession of his creative powers and he creates a story that does what every good story should do: it keeps us wondering What Happens Next and when we do, we want more.

137 min
Rated PG-13 Even though MILLION DOLLAR BABY is a boxing movie it doesn’t have nearly the level of blood and violence you would find in other boxing movies such as “Raging Bull” or the “Penitentiary” movies. The events of the final 45 minutes of the movie are more disturbing than any of the fight scenes and they have nothing to do with boxing. You’ll have to see it for yourself to find out what I’m talking about. I wouldn’t dare spoil it for you.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Hockey: Youngblood
Basketball: Coach Carter
Football: Remember The Titans
Boxing: Rocky Balboa
Golf: **
Soccer: **

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Surprisingly, I'm not a big fan of sports movies, but here goes...

Basketball: Blue Chips
Football: Remember the Titans
Hockey: The Mighty Ducks
Baseball: The Natural (I'm surprised I'm the only person who has mentioned that yet)

Impact

V.I.P.
I haven't really seen many sports movies, and i'm changing the list of sports too so I can actually answer :D

Surfing: Surf's Up - Yes I know it's a kids movie, and surfing is borderline sports...but it's still an awesome movie.
Football: Remember the Titans - The only movie I enjoyed that I watched in school
Golf: Happy Gilmore - The only Adam Sandler movie I can bear to sit through
Car/Bike Racing: The Worlds Fastest Indian - Okay so another borderline one
Wrestling: The Wrestler

That's all I can think of.