Favorite speech from a President?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

A lot of Presidents from the United States delivered some great speeches in the past. Which one is your favorite and why do you like this one over the others?

2. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I kinda divide it into 2 categories. First is the great speeches from history such as the Gettysburg Address or the Kennedy Inaugural. The second is the ones seen 'live'. Obviously the ones that I saw live weigh heavier in my mind than the ones that I studied even though they may not be as important.

Of the ones that I saw live that stick out immediately, I'd have to say:
    The Reagan Challenger Speech
    The Reagan Tear Down This Wall
    Reagan D-Day
    Bush 43 - Freedom and Fear (We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail.)

Those are the speeches that really affected me. I can remember great lines from all 4 of those.

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

My favorite speech is Washington's Farewell address. I thought that was the best speech ever given by a president. I also love Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Kennedy's Inaugural speech was very good also as were some of Reagan's. His speech at the 40th anniversary of D-Day and his Tear Down this Wall speech were very good. Some of Theodore Roosevelt's speeches were very good as well.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

If I ran schools, I would require kids to memorize parts of the Washington Farewell Address. There's so much there that needs to be taught.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

I like FDR's first inaugural address: the "only thing we have to fear is fear itself" speech. It was more than a simple statement of position, or move to grab political advantage or favor, but aimed straight at solving the problems of a failing economy by speaking of the opportunity and promise of the future. The speech is not likely the sole reason the economy turned around on more-or-less the day of FDR's inauguration, but I imagine it helped.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

Eisenhower's speech denouncing the military industrial complex. Given who he was it was a remarkable thing for him to do. It might not have been the most accurate speech in terms of pertaining to the immediate situation when he was president, but I read it more as a warning to world leaders of the future, and what he said certainly rings true today.

Also the FDR's inaugural address...though enough people have mentioned that already.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009