favorite show

Discussion in 'Theatre' started by Obsessiforge, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

what's your favorite musical, and your favorite dramatic production?

for me, its Sweeney Todd for the musical right now, and Cyranno for the play.

2. marsupilami

marsupilami Registered Member

Musical hmm..

Grease. Wicked. Little Shop of Horrors. The Jerry Springer Opera (hilarious!! and u even get laughs at the protestors when you leave..) .. and Aladdin!

Play ..

maybe cliche, but I love Romeo & Juliet, the actual play. Hoping to see The Royal Shakespeare production of it in sept. I've just not liked any other Shakespeare play I've read as much as I liked it. Not to mention, Baz Luhrmann's adaptation was brilliant.

Not actually read too many plays - A Streetcar Named Desire, it was alright. Seen the Marlon Brando film version, was alright. An Inspector Calls, meh :\ saw a stage production of it actually, wasn't too great, but neither was the book haha. Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear..

3. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

Romeo and Juliet is a great story. no matter how many takes on it people may try to do, the original language is what really gets me.

and...there's a JERRY SPRINGER OPERA?!

4. marsupilami

Hell yes there is!! It's so brilliantly funny! I would highly recommend to anyone try and see it (there is a dvd) .. some of the song titles: chick with a dick, mama gimme smack on the asshole, bigger than oprah winfrey, talk to the hand, every last motherfucker should go down..

It's surely got to be the least serious opera ever produced!! When the BBC aired it on tv here, so many christians went crazy over it (theres scenes which star jesus and satan).. when me and my friend went to see it performed, there was protesters outside of the theatre, it was crazy!

YouTube - Jerry Springer the Opera: Klan Entrance

5. Jakey-D

Jakey-D Registered Member

Romeo and Juliet? God, that's so cliched Steaky. ;)

6. marsupilami

oh it can't be helped :D I guess I'm a sucker for a good romantic tragedy!

7. kittykate789

kittykate789 Registered Member

I'd have to go with Wicked for a musical. It's incredibly classic.

As for plays, I really don't watch that many, in fact I'm only really aware of plays that I've been in. So my favorite of those would be Treasure Island. I got to be a man. That was an experience, haha.

8. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Drama, I'll go with the Importance of Being Earnest and A Christmas Carol.

I hate musicals. The only one I've liked that wasn't written by my middle-school math teacher was The Lion King.

9. StarWarp

StarWarp New Member

My favorite movies are the greatest of all time IMO: Star Wars! They really raised the bar and set the standard for how any great movie should be!

10. DLFerguson

DLFerguson Registered Member

I'm not really a play person. They actually bore me and I'd rather watch the movie version of a stage play rather than the show. That having been said I did enjoy "Dreamgirls" on stage. And I'm a sucker for "Cyrano De Bergerac" I've seen it performed on stage three or four times. I just love the language and they way it's used in that play.

Favorite musicals? I've got plenty:

Little Shop of Horrors
    Chicago
    Guys And Dolls
    South Pacific
    How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying
    A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum