• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Favorite setting?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't know why, but even after I was first introduced to the "apocalyptic wasteland" years ago thanks to Fallout, I just can't get enough of it. For some reason I've yet to figure out, my favorite setting seems to be the post apocalyptic world. I just love the concept of an expansive land filled with danger and also the idea of human nature being stripped down to its bare minimum is also a dark subject that is too exciting to not write about.

How about you?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I've always been a sucker for anything fantasy.

I read pretty much anything set in the whole medieval fantasy setting as I'm just a sucker for it and it takes me back to the style of fantasy novels I read as a kid. I love big castles, bows and arrows, swords but also dragons, wizards and magicians.

I also love the other more modern type of fantasy. Fantasy set in a modern world. Funnily enough the Harry Potter series manages to be both set in a modern world but also has the feeling of the classic medieval fantasy novels so you can imagine how much I love those.

I also LOVE any story, whether it be book, film, play or anything that is set in an alternate history. I'm currently reading a book set in an alternate version of England in the 80's and it's so much fun to read. I like it when authors take the familiar and things we recognise but then just turn it on it's head.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
I'm 100% with you Merc, I am OBSESSED with the wasteland. It is odd as I mostly read contemporary fiction but whenever I conceive a story it will be fantasy or sci-fi. It sometimes starts normal but then ends up with an atom bomb going off...

dDave

V.I.P.
Post apocalyptic is pretty cool to me.

If we're talking strictly location then I do like settings in rural areas high up in the mountains maybe with some snow or something.

If we're talking overall feel I like stuff that seems like impossible situations. Let me explain. If it's a well done terror plot, or a band of people trying to survive the zombie apocalypse I'm going to enjoy it a ton. You could take the very stereotypical setting of some guys being on a camping trip and suddenly they are thrust into a world of terror and I'd like it so long as it was written well.

I liked stuff like War of the Worlds (though the storyline needed some work), and I am Legend.

The impossible is where writing gets great, what's the fun in reading somethings that's 100% possible? There's simply no thrill in that, I've always been a sucker for well written fictional stories that take place outside of reality.

Last edited:

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
well I must admit, I am a sucker for fantasy settings as well.

However, my favourite places are forests. I don't know why, but the whole mystery of a thick forest just mesmerises me :D

Add some sorcery and dragons to the whole thing and I'm hooked :D