Favorite Processor Maker?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dDave, Feb 28, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

There are some processor companies that have been around for as long as I can remember.

Out of the 2 that I like AMD and Intel i definitely have to say that AMD has done a great job making the processors run just as well as Intel at a much cheaper price.

But of course I am not sure what's up with the Turion 64 X2 being a 32-bit processor unless they were going for N64 style.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008

2. nikomaster

nikomaster Registered Member

May be the market is taken only by intel and AMD

3. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

AMD and Intel are the two big desktop/personal computer processor manufacturers, along with Via trailing their coattails (they aren't as popular, you see them on smaller formfactor boards)

4. dDave

AMD and intel are both great but as I said before AMD sells their stuff at more reasonable prices Intel is getting an ego problem and making the names of their processors sound great such as the intel pentium dual core it's horrible and I can't believe that it can run vista.

I've never heard of Via before.

5. mermaidboy

mermaidboy Registered Member

Intel for me. I hope that one day nVidia comes up with their CPU/GPU hybrid; that will be my choice.

All hail nVidia!

6. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

@dDave: Wikipedia article about Via Technologies
    Another article on a new processor line that they made here

I've only seen them on smaller boards, they were the ones who created the []-ITX form-factor (mini, pico, nano), which are some of the smallest computer motherboards on the market.

Actually, i'm thinking of buying one of their Mini-ITX boards, for a small media/encoding pc sometime in the near future.

And, Mermaidboy, I think Intel/nVidia are coming out with a hybrid motherboard sometime soon; something along the lines of AMD's crossover platform (i can't think of the name a the moment)

7. dDave

nVidia would do a great job with that especially since they are with PNY one of the best companies of all time for computer parts.

it'd also be pretty cool if AMD teamed up with PNY and nVidia.