• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Favorite player and goalie?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
We haven't had one of these threads in a real long time, so I decided to start a new one. Who is your current favorite player and goalie? Please state a reason why you enjoy them.

My favorite player is Tomas Plekanec. He's so dynamic on the ice and makes the players around him much better. He's also very good defensively and kills penalties. He needs to improve his face-off moves, but other than that he's has a lot of skills.

My favorite goalie is Carey Price. I'm sure that this doesn't surprise many people. Carey Price really came to his own last season, and I knew it would eventually happen. Price is one of the best goalies in the NHL. He still needs to improve somethings, especially his glove hand(it's improved though) The scary thing is that he has a chance to get much better.

Rink_Rage

Registered Member
Shea Weber
Best defensemen in the league that plays for team that is fun to cheer for.
Pekka Rinne
Same reasons as Weber.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I really liked Ryan Kesler during the playoffs. Some of his moves were pretty exciting. As far as goalies go? It's a tossup between Luongo or Thomas. Honestly, even though some of their saves were flukes, they looked awesome making the saves. Price made some spectacular ones I remember too, but I think the first two stood out more.

WendelsSTACHE

Registered Member
Favourite player is Mike Richards or Ryan Getzlaf.

Mike Richards is a old time hockey player that seems to play with his heart on his sleeve.

Same can get said about Getz, Big guy with loads of skill...and like Richards he doesnt mind roughing it up a bit.

Current favourite goalie would have to be James Reimer; i really like this kid. he seems really down to earth.

If you have the time read this article:
(i cant post urls? wow.) type in Behind the mask, James Reimer into google.....its worth your time.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
My two favorite goalies to watch have to be Carey Price and Ryan Miller. That would be my dream matchup in the Eastern Conference Finals, which I think is definitely possible this coming year. Both goalies have proved that they can shine on the biggest stage. A worthy honorable mention has to be Pekka Rinne. He is closest to what I tried to model my game after what I was playing. He combines the best of Hasek's style with a more technical edge. You never get sick of watching him.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't know you were a Carey Price fan les. Where you always one or just really started to enjoy him this season? Also, were you ever one of those fans that said the Canadiens should keep Halak and trade Price or you've always been a believer that he'll be a good goalie one day and trading him would be a mistake?

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
I've had Price on my radar for a while, but I really became a fan of him after this year because of how great of a year he had. Also, I was a bit shocked that Halak was traded away, but I knew that Price was coming into his own at the same time. Trading away Price would have been a huge mistake. Those other years when he was the starter were different because he was younger and had all of the pressure of that city on his shoulders and didn't know how to manage it. This past year he figured himself out, though, and he should be strong for many years, in my opinion. Also, remember, Price didn't have as many years as Miller did of pre-NHL pro conditioning to get himself ready for the NHL, so I give him that much more credit.

Look for both Price and Miller to have great years. Both will have very strong D cores in front of them, and that can give a goalie a ton of confidence in his own game.

WendelsSTACHE

Registered Member
Miller is unreal. I usually go down and see atleast 3 games in Buffalo (against the leafs) and he is just amazing. Totally composed and always on.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Favorite player is definitely Joe Thornton. I've liked him ever since the Sharks basically stole him from the Bruins. Haha. He climbed past Marleau as my favorite player a couple of years ago. I'd place Pavelski third.

As for goalies, well, for years it was Nabokov. But he dropped off the list when he belted for the KHL. Miller is definitely up there, I liked what I saw from Niemi most of this year. I gained a ton of respect for Thomas (still hate Luongo). Haha.

Last edited:

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Favorite player is definitely Joe Thornton. I've liked him ever since the Sharks basically stole him from the Bruins. Haha. He climbed past Marleau as my favorite player a couple of years ago. I'd place Pavelski third.

As for goalies, well, for years it was Nabokov. But he dropped off the list when he belted for the KHL. Miller is definitely up there, I liked what I saw from Niemi most of this year. I gained a ton of respect for Thomas (still hate Luongo). Haha.
Haha, wow, someone really likes the Sharks. I like their lineup, too (I've been a Sharks fan for a long time, just never a big one). Nabokov always made me laugh, though. His stance always baffled me. He would stand up straighter and with his knees closer together than most goalies, but he still was able to make a save down low. I'm hoping that mess with the Islanders gets straightened out and he can get back in the NHL.

Right, favorite players. I somewhat hate to admit it, but I really, really like seeing Ovechkin play. Some people call him a one trick pony, in that he likes to come up the wing and use the defenseman as a screen. He's such a huge neanderthal, though, with some killer speed and some toughness to boot. He can really find a hole in the defense and exploit it. I also still like seeing Jarome Iginla play, even though he is getting old, for pretty much the same reasons. He can still drop 'em and put the puck in the net, though. I'm still sad he (in particular) didn't win the cup in 2004. I am glad that Selanne won his only cup (so far) in 2007, though. He is probably my favorite speedy winger, even at 41. I am really hoping he comes back so I can see him play one last time at Honda Center, especially if it's the Jets coming to town.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Hockey 7
Jayy NBA 5
Babe_Ruth Sports 8
Babe_Ruth Sports 2
Babe_Ruth Sports 2