• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Favorite Norman Lear Show

Marvelous1

Registered Member
Norman Lear produced many sitcoms in the 1970's. I was wondering which one was your favorite and why?
------
Okay I'll start. My favorite Norman Lear produced sit-com is Sanford and Son. The reparte between Fred and Lamont was great. Then you add in the sharp tongue of Aunt Esther and the gentle humor of Grady not to mention the shady but well-meaning Rollo and you have the perfect recipe for fun.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with you on Sanford and Son. I wasn't a fan of the show when I first started to watch it, but then I decided to give it another chance and I love it and find it extremely funny.

Fred is by far the best character of the show. Lamont was good as well, but he annoyed me sometimes. Aunt Ester had her great appearances well.

Marvelous1

Registered Member
For those of you who aren't sure here are the shows that were produced by Norman Lear:

All in the Family
Maude
The Jefferson's
Good Times
Sanford and Son
One Day at a Time
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

Now pick your favorite and tell us about it.

gusto

Registered Member
I just loved "All in the family". I was 17 years old in 1970 and in my generation most of my friends and myself had fathers that were just like Archie. They were the WW2 generation and the generation gap was just huge. They couldn't understand long hair and everything that went along with that. They didn't like any kind of foreigners. Most of them were very right wing and anybody with a social idea was a "pinko commie". Gays were fruits or fags. The thing was that usually they were proved wrong and came out of it looking rather stupid. As wrong headed as they were we loved them anyway because under that hard boiled exterior there usually was a very soft heart. This is what Norman Lear showed us. Most of the right wingers were just products of their times, upbringing,education or lack of. when push came to shove they would usually side with the right and I don't mean that in a political way.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
WEll I am going to change my answer. I didn't know Norman Lear did All in the Family. All in the Family is my favorite television show of all time. I think Archie Bunker is the greatest character of all time. I loved the show, the characters the stories. I loved everything about it