• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Favorite Jay Ward Cartoon Character(s)

KarlW

Registered Member
There's a thread for Warner Bros. and one for Hanna-Barbera, so I thought
I'd start one for Jay Ward, the guy who gave us Crusader Rabbit, Rocky &
Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha, Mr. Peabody, Fractured Fairy Tales, Dudley
Do-Right, Hoppity Hooper, George of the Jungle and Cap'n Crunch. My
favorites were Rocket J. Squirrel and his pal, Bullwinkle J. Moose. I
especially liked when they broke the "fourth wall" and spoke to the audience (or to the narrator). We had seen Groucho Marx and Bob Hope do that in movies, but it was unusual for a cartoon character to do it. Ward had some brilliant writers (incl. Allan Burns, Chris Hayward and Chris
Jenkins) -- these guys went on to write for such classic TV shows as
Barney Miller, Get Smart, The Jeffersons, The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Mork & Mindy -- which made up for the rather cheap animation. It was a classic television show (and an influence on Matt Groening's The Simpsons).

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm gonna have to go with Bullwinkle. My favorite segment of Bullwinkle was Fractured Fairy Tales, but as far as a favorite character it's the moose for sure.