• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Favorite director?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I ask not necessarily to hear your answer, but mostly because I don't know how people have favorite directors. They tend to be quite varied (and the ones who aren't tend to not be very good) so it always puzzles me when someone says they have a favorite director. I mean, I love Christopher Nolan but I know films I don't like by him.

Thoughts?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Picking a Favourite Director is no easy decision I presume. I mean, most films I watch are based on the mood I'm in. All director's works can be shoved aside at any given point if I'm not in the right mood to watch their stuff.

However, there are those that I will find myself drawn to more often than not. I will be in the mood most of the time to enjoy at least one of their films. Scorsese is a great example for me, especially because he has created films of such an expansive range, from so many different genres. Whereas, I find Nolan falls flat right there. He makes astounding films, no doubt about that, yet he seems set in one area. The dark film, the gamey sorta story, the twisty turny thriller.

That's why I wouldn't stick him in my second spot, or third most likely.

The likes of - Kubrick, Fincher, Spielberg, Scott (R) and Mann - and many more manage this. So, if it comes to picking a director I go off of those merits.
I can happily choose Scorsese over the lot, although you can see that with such reasoning it ain't a decision made off the bat.
I think I choose him above the rest because his films are tidy, entertaining and for pretty much every one I can imagine has been laboriously worked on. You can tell that from just looking at some of them -- From getting that camera in the ring for Raging Bull or something simple - like the use of voice over in a few of his films. It's generally a scorned at method, yet he pulls it off amicably.

Anyway, that's my little bit - meh.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I mean, I love Christopher Nolan but I know films I don't like by him.
Which ones didn't you like?

I guess it's similar to the way people have favorite actors. I know you actually see them on the screen, so it's a little different... but a director has things you can come to expect from him in his films. Once you watch a couple from a specific director and you like them and they're good, you hope/expect the next one will be too.

Scorsese & Nolan are my favorites. I haven't seen all their movies, but I've seen most and there hasn't been a bad one in the bunch.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't see what's wrong with having a favorite director. It's like having a favorite actor. Good actors tend to play a variety of roles, and you don't necessarily have to like all of the roles they've played to say they're your favorite.

My favorite director is Darren Aronofsky. I haven't seen Black Swan yet, but I've seen all of his other movies and loved them all. I just think he does a great job of capturing atmosphere, mood, and emotion on film while working with much smaller budgets than guys like Christopher Nolan or James Cameron, who are also great, but in different ways.

Last edited:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'd like to add the Coen brothers and Ben Affleck to my list. I know Affleck has only directed two movies, but they've both been excellent... and let's face it, he's kind of a moron. I think that you have to give him more credit for directing two highly entertaining movies than you'd give to anyone else. Haha.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
David Fincher
Mamoru Hosada
Hayao Miyazaki

I noticed that people who are more critical of movies (not just to watch it for entertainment but enjoy the art) see a movie and first thing they're interested in is the director of the movie. So while the rest ask "who are the actors", they ask "who made the movie".

I used to not pay attention to it before, after all I can recognise actors names' first before directors. But having watched a lot of movies and bought DVDs, I tried to catalog them before and apart from the movie title (which was a bit confusing too because I own movies in two titles, English/FR), it was easier to sort by director. Then I started noticing patterns that a certain director, like Finch, made movies I loved a lot. So I started looking for his other movies, and they didn't disappoint. Directors have the most influence in making a movie work its magic. Yes, there will probably be movies that are less appealing than others but it's no different than when you have favorite actors and they appear sometimes on "bad" movies, despite their acting talent being still good.

PS. yeah kons, Affleck is working his way on my list too.

Impact

V.I.P.
I don't see what's wrong with having a favorite director. It's like having a favorite actor. Good actors tend to play a variety of roles, and you don't necessarily have to like all of the roles they've played to say they're your favorite.
Pretty much what Echoes said here, except I happen to like everything i've seen from my favourite directors. Darren Aronofsky and Guy Ritchie are my two favourites, with Quentin Tarrantino falling in behind them somewhere.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is no small feat for me to name my top director... so I will list two (my current favorite and my favorite of all time):

My current favorite has to be Tom Hooper. I loved his direction in The King's Speech and The Damned United along with a smaller film called Red Dust that deserves a view my everyone here. Great film.

My favorite of all time is Danny Boyle. I am not the biggest fan of mainstream films (I do have my favorites of those), but Boyle is phenomenal! His direction is very pure and authentic and deserves mention. Trainspotting, Millions, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Slumdog Millionaire, The Beach, 127 Hours and Sunshine are all among my top 20 favorite films of all time, and they were all directed by Boyle.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
My favorite of all time is Danny Boyle. I am not the biggest fan of mainstream films (I do have my favorites of those), but Boyle is phenomenal! His direction is very pure and authentic and deserves mention. Trainspotting, Millions, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Slumdog Millionaire, The Beach, 127 Hours and Sunshine are all among my top 20 favorite films of all time, and they were all directed by Boyle.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Danny Boyle, almost everything he does is superb except Slumdog Millionaire. I thought Slumdog Millionaire was waaaay too hyped than it needed to be, it wasn't THAT good. I thought I'd just mention Brian DePalma (Scarface is my favorite movie ever), Oliver Stone and Paul Haggis.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
It's funny I can kind of see where Cons is coming from. I never used to pay attention to directors. In my mind a film was a film and I didnt "follow" directors careers as such. However as I started to really get into cinema a bit more I started to notice the way in which a directors influence can be seen to carry over from film to film.

The most obvious way that this happens is in the subject matter. Some directors tend to have a niche that they fit into and just by the content of the film you can appreciate a sort of consistency in the direction. Korean director Park Chan-Wook is a good example of this. Almost every one of his films that I've seen has been about asking the question, when is it ok to step outside of social norms? Another common theme of his is revenge. Similarly if anyone hears the name Michael Bay they're going to think "Explosions" and "massive set pieces". Nolan loves playing around narrative techniques. Memento had a backwards and forwards storyline that met at the end. The Prestige has whole segments that are told out of order. Inception had dreams within dreams taking place simultaneously. He was also the only director to start his Batman story at the beginning of his career of crime fighting :lol: He also seems to put a heavy influence on questioning reality.

So what about those directors who don't stick so closely to themes? I think Danny Boyle is the perfect example of this. He's done space, zombies, Indian game shows, Drug addicts and James Franco stuck under a rock for an hour and a half. What did these films have in common? Apart from rocking soundtracks there's also the unifying feature that they've all been good :lol: He's a bit of a directing chameleon for sure but he hasn't disappointed me yet so there must be something he's doing right. The Coens are also fantastic at this.

I also have a big thing for directors who have a hand in the writing. I hate to use Nolan again but if Im watching one of his films I know I'm gonna get good gripping dialogue. Tarantino films are often recognisable for the witty banter of seemingly unimportant topics between the lead characters.

So I totally think it's reasonable to have favourite directors but it usually is something you have to pay attention to.