Favorite Cartoon & Cartoon Toys While Growing Up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yooperchick, Dec 19, 2005.

1. yooperchick

yooperchick Registered Member

Spurred by another thread, I thought it might be fun to discuss our favorite childhood cartoons and cartoon toys.

He-Man was a big thing for me. I had quite a few of the figures, but the ones that I remember the most are (and I can't remember their names) the tiger, panther and the birds. I used to drive my mom crazy with running around the house "flying" the birds.

My next love came with Thundercats. That show spurred my imagination and I was making cardboard Liono's sword and everything. I only had a few of the toys, but I just ended up making a lot of the weapons. I remember whacking my neighbor on the head with Tigra's weapon (that whip thing) and sending him home crying.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I loved Tom and Jerry. That was definitely my favorite. I used to watch it every day right after school. I also liked GI Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I think I had a couple He-Man toys when I was really little, but I don't really remember ever playing with them.

3. LaRazaUnida

LaRazaUnida Registered Member

I loved Ninja Turtles, He-Man, and liked Batman.

I owned action figures for all 3 of those shows. I owned all of the old Ninja Turtles + vehicles at one point. I also owned alot of Batman. I still have almost every exo squad member + vehicle, and all 1st edition spawn toys.

My favorite heman toy was this one guy who had a wheel in the middle of his body and you would wind him up using the ground to make him take off and shoot sparks.

4. yooperchick

Reading Tom and Jerry reminded me of Heathcliff (sp?). You know, that tough cat that had the junkyard gang and he had that laugh that has troublemaker written all over it. I don't remember much about the gang except for the chick cat. Looking back at it, she seemed a little riskee for a girl cartoon back then. I used to watch that show before getting on the school bus every morning.

5. Wrecked

Wrecked Registered Member

i've watched a bunch of cartoons in my time, some i don't even know the title of.

i'll try to order them in which i watched them or at least the same era...

ThunderCats, Smurfs, Snorks, Conan: The Barbarian, Heathcliff, Gummi Bears, Adventures of Captain N [ or whatever that nintendo show was called ], Gumby, Zelda, both mario shows, first Sonic show, Tail Spin, Rescue Rangers, Gargoyles, Swat Cats, all batman cartoons except for The Batman, X-Men, 1st Spider-Man, Dexter's Lab, Simpsons, Futurama, Justice League [ Unlimited ]

6. dk_rare

dk_rare Registered Member

I would have to say Simpsons as a favourite cartoon growing up, mainly because it just took itself so much more seriously then “kids” cartoons. Don’t get me wrong, I love all animation, but with other shows it seemed like what the characters did was of no consequence to the grand scheme of things, they fight the monster, hurt the bad guys and that was about it. You didn’t find out more about any of the turtles, nothing changed at all for anyone, they had the same attitudes week to week. Like they were stuck in some sort of time warp!

Now though I feel a little jaded by the humour of the Simpsons, I feel I need summat a bit more fast paced, like Family Guy and American Dad. My tastes have changed somewhat recently, my comedy needs to be hard and fast like Margaret Cho or Arrested Development.

I’ll always have a soft spot for the Japanese serials, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, anything quirky, and anything with teenagers, robots or teenagers in robots. Japanese animation is just so different to western cartoons, some would argue that they are EVEN MORE pointless, but to me they will always be bliss ^_^

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

If we're including more recent cartoons, then I have to include the Simpsons, Futurama and Family Guy. The new Simpsons episodes suck though, so I kinda stopped watching it. Futurama and Family Guy are way better right now, but nothing can ever top the Simpsons in its prime (seasons 3-9 or so).

8. yooperchick

The Simpsons have been on so long. I don't know how much longer they can go. It just boggles my mind that they have been on since 1989 and that's more than half my life! I am also old enough to remember seeing them on the Tracy Ulman Show. Anyone else remember that?

9. dk_rare

dk_rare Registered Member

I've got a theory on the simpsons. I think that Marge will divorce Homer soon.

This is a short post, as I want to hear what people think of this theory, before I explain

10. RossDude

RossDude Beep

I have always loved Garfield and Tom and Jerry. I recently got some DVDs of the two shows too, so I've been watching and enjoying them. I enjoyed all cartoons, but those stand out to me for some reason.