Father's Rights

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Doc, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

The topic I made about the dad gassing his kids made me want to create a topic for fathers' rights.

What do you think the extent of the fathers' rights should be if the parents have split mutually or one-sided? How about if the mother is negligent and the court won't give the father custody? What do you feel about the mother consistently getting rights over the father? Bring up any discussions you can.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This can be a muddy conversation because a lot of people would say the mother has more rights which is kind of idiotic since the mother didn't create the kid herself. Biology dictated that she was the one to carry it, that's all. I hate how fathers get the shaft in these parenting bits. I've seen kids put into custody of terrible mothers simply because their fathers weren't their mothers.

I think the father should have the exact same rights as the mother when it comes to child custody (unless of course we're talking someone whose breaking laws and has a bad reputation, that may sway rights from him).

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I never understood either why some mothers are granted full custody just because she's the mom (golden uterus syndrome) while they'd ask a lot of other requirements from a father to prove he's fit to be a custodial parent.

Even when they break the law, the courts are more sympathetic towards mothers' need to bond with their children. Like in this case.

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I have to say I am completely against the whole idea of custody to determine how a 'family' should be structured. For me a child is not a possession to be shared or split. Parenthood is also not a job that can be given shifts or time slots, it is not something that can be written out and contracted to a piece of paper. The whole concept of custody is just nuts.

Unfortunately custody does exist and the way it is staged(especially in the UK) it is very bias towards the mother. I cant really comment on it as I think the whole system should be scrapped regardless.

5. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Here's the big question of the day. I suspect Merc will know where I intend to go with this.....

When should the rights of a father begin?

Think about it for a minute.

Hoosier.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

At the same time we hold them responsible for the child. That means time of conception for me. But I know that a lot of people feel otherwise.

7. Hoosier_Daddy

Then wouldn't the next logical question be:

Why can't a father of a child challenge the mothers "right" to abort said child?

The supreme court has perpetuated a terrible double standard on men in this regard for far too long. The mother alone bears the right to abort or birth a child, and only after the child is born and the mother wants to include the father (or part of his paycheck) is the father granted any form of rights.

Hoosier.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Exactly. I'm a woman and should be pleased with that but I'm not. I think that was put in place to protect the mothers when men run away from responsibilities after getting a woman pregnant. However, there are also cases when men want the responsibility and the child but the women are ultimately given the power to decide (by choosing to abort or not) whether he can exercise his right and have his child.

9. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

First off, I think that the child should have the choice after they are able to think freely for themselves. Not just "I want to go to daddy's" or "I want to be with mommy;" they should be asked which parent they want to be with and that parent should be given custody as long as they have a home, don't beat the child, and so on.

That scenario would work out perfectly for the child if they decided they wanted one of the two parents to have what is best described as "controlling stake.'

This is one issue that I have a clear answer for: abolish abortion for everyone but life-threatening terminations and rape victims. Sure, we have the right to choose.. but why do we have the right to take a life?

10. Hoosier_Daddy

Steve,

A child of a rape victim is no less of a human entity than a child of consensual sex.

Hoosier.