Father's Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Easily-Amused, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

So this is the thread about Father's Day.

Personally, I hate the day. It always comes RIGHT after something else big [[ like finals and graduation this year ]], so I never have time to plan something. I found a cute online card the other day and set it up to send on father's day, but it sent on the day i made it instead >.<

anyhow. what are your opinions on father's day? is it pointless? fun? as a father? as a kid? discuss here.

2. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I am not a fan of fabricated commercialized holidays.

Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day etc.

I have never been particularly fond of Father's day because it is so close to my B-day and my parents anniversary. My B-day sometimes gets completely overshadowed because of that.

It's fine to appreciate your parents. That's cool but you can do that every day. Designating a holiday for it, where I am nearly obligated to go out and buy something for my father, I see is just exploitation.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

A friend of mine says Father/Mother's Day for him is during his birthday (when he is reminded who brought him to the world and raised him).

My father wasn't really present when I was young (just my stepdad) so I have weird feelings about celebrating Father's Day those days. Now I don't even associate it with my father...I just think of my husband. My son likes preparing a "gift" for him for this day.

4. Cookies

Cookies Registered Member

Father's Day to me is just a little day to show appreciation for my father, more than the usual everyday stuff. It's pretty good to help make your father happy. Though mine looks forward to me being successful in life as more of a "giant" father's day gift.

Other than that it has absolutely no meaning to me what-so-ever in any sense.

5. bball4life

bball4life Alfred :: Gotham Hero

i dont like fathers day, or mothers day. my parents both just argue about how neither of them do anything for eachother on these days.

6. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Fathers Day is a big day for me. I tend to get spoiled rotten for a day.

Hoosier.

7. CBNJ

CBNJ Registered Member

I like it. We usually go out to my Aunt's or Grandma's house, and it is always a good time.

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I like these types of holidays, too. Even though they ARE money makers for businesses, it forces me to go out and do something good for my dad. Spoil him a bit, show that I care and appreciate all that he's done for me. On any normal day I wouldn't do that type of stuff. I'm caught up in my own world, my own universe.

Yes, I know, I'm lazy. Blah. =O

9. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I think that's why us fathers enjoy having this holiday. As our kids get older and more self involved, it's nice to have them single out a day for us to say thanks. Not necessarily for the normal provisions we make for them, but for the extra miles we go to ensure a better life for them. My sons are pretty much the center of my wife's and my universe. It's nice to know they appreciate it.

Hoosier.

10. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I don't mind it, though it is really close to my sister's birthday.