• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fat tax

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
When government runs health care can micromanagement of individual choices be far behind?

Germany Considers Tax on the Obese

Social democracy at work!

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
The problem that moron has is with the obese causing a financial burden but he stupidly ignores that people choosing that kind of lifestyle are already paying for it physically. Also, the US has been trying this for the better part of the last ten years now. It keeps failing, naturally. I'm also willing to bet it's one of those things most people won't admit to supporting.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
This is only the beginning of the Thousand Year Plan. Families with numerous children consume more resources; the parents must be sterilized. The feeble, the mentally ill, the amputee and the deformed, all are festering parasites sucking the purest sacred blood from our veins. Their removal is a necessity for the health of the nation and the superiority of the master race! Onward to victory! Uber alles! Uber alles!

(Note to overweight Germans: do NOT accept a government invitation to fat camp)

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
You think that obese people don't affect the costs of your privately run health care? think again.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
You think that obese people don't affect the costs of your privately run health care? think again.
So the extreme sports enthusiasts don't? What about the new generation of people doing stupid shit just to get on the internet? Maybe bloggers should be taxed? What about athletes? Maybe we should add a tax to sports equipment such as baseball bats, hockey sticks, etc. How about mountain climbers? Maybe Echoes should be taxed more come the fifteenth because of the dangerous nature of his favorite past time?

Being obese is just becoming the new social stigma and like we've stupidly done with gun and drug crime, we're blaming the tools or the items that lead to the problem. People blame guns for shootings, drugs for violence/sex/etc. and now people are blaming the donuts on obesity. Taxing fat people or the foods they (not even "they", but WE) eat is a stupid answer and the likely one this country would come up with. Like all social problems, we think so short term that we never make solid progress.

Being overweight is like smoking, all the science is stretched, bunk, or still in theoretical phases. Like smoking, obesity is obviously going to have some adverse effects on you but so far, we haven't found substantial links or proof that it's causing serious harm. The "evidence" we have is largely unfounded and proven only in minute test groups. Unfortunately, for obesity, we're going to have to continue research for a few more years maybe a decade or two to know what it really causes.