• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fasting

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Lent started last week and while I used to be better at fasting (Catholic way), no meats on Fridays and smaller meals for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, now I just pick something I love and try (take note, try) to give it up for the 40 days. This year, I picked bacon. Maybe trivial for some, but if you know me, that's equivalent to giving up flavoured drinks.

Anyway, at my work, this started a discussion with my Muslim colleagues and compared to their Ramadan, one month of no food/drink from dawn to dusk (which can go as late as 10pm given the season), Catholics have it easy. We can pick what to give up for Lent and it doesn't deprive us of full meals during the day. Of course it doesn't diminish the fact that it's still a sacrifice and difficult practice. I just never thought of it before...

Are you fasting this Lent? Those who don't observe Lent, have you fasted for religious purpose before? Or does your religion dictate you to fast? Do/did you have a difficult time?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I've never fasted. Back when I had a religion, it was considered a good thing but not required. I know a few people who did (although when they did it, it was without any food for however many days - not eating everything but one item or eating every sundown).

semsemman

Registered Member
I fast in Ramadan, because I am Muslim. It is not very hard except when Ramadan comes in summer. When Ramadan falls on July, for example, it becomes very difficult due to thirst especially since many Islamic countries is located in hot regions. Most Muslims fast in Ramadan even if some does not pray, although prayer is more important than fasting in this religion, but you can think of fasting as a social tradition more than religious commandment, so Ramadan gives pleasure to people, consequently they reserve obeying God in this demand !

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I gave up fast food for Lent. I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore but I do pick up an occassional cheeseburger which I won't be doing during Lent. I also try and do something positive, like volunteer more or add a little more that I give to charity. This year I added what I give to St. Jude's Children's Hospital during their recent telethon.

Easily-Amused

http://easily-amused.com/
I'm Jewish - we have a day called Yom Kippur in which we fast to cleanse ourselves for the new year. It's also a day in which you are supposed to apologize one last time for any wrongdoings you have done and forgive those who apologize to you.

Despite being Jewish, I went to a Catholic high school, where the main topic of discussion for the first 14 of the 40 days of Lent was "what are you giving up?" I always said "watermelon" because of one of my favourite childhood books: Jennifer, Hecate, Macb----, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by E. L. Koningsburg. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It's one of those young adult books everyone can enjoy.

Ziggy

Sup?
My best friend is a Muslim and he fasts for Ramadan and I had a lot of respect for him doing that. I don't think I could.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't give up anything for Lent, I was thinking about it but I decided to not do it at the end. The only thing I will follow is that I will not eat any meat on Good Friday. I never heard about not being allowed to eat any meat on Friday's, just Good Friday.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I didn't give up anything for Lent, I was thinking about it but I decided to not do it at the end. The only thing I will follow is that I will not eat any meat on Good Friday. I never heard about not being allowed to eat any meat on Friday's, just Good Friday.
Actually it used to be no meat on every single Friday throughout the year. It's been no meat on Friday during Lent for years. I don't always give something up for Lent. I instead look at Lent as a way to improve myself, not give up something necessarily, but do something better, do something for others, even if they don't know you did it. I did give up fast food this year, but that also because I need to eat less fast food in general.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm not a religious person, so I don't participate in fasting or giving things up. In fact, on a particular Good Friday, I got my first tattoo.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never fasted for religious reasons or any reason. I should because I have read that it is good for you to go without food for a day. If I remember correctly you will live longer if you fast occasionally.