• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fasting question.

Daemonic

Registered Member
I was thinking about a way to work on strengthening my willpower and working on improving strength when it comes to self control. Anyway, I came up with a spiritual project I don't want to get into detail about but part of it includes fasting. I thought that was a good choice because I normally am healthy person but the past couple months have been down and over eating. I was underweight when it started but now am probably normal weight. Anyway, I thought fasting would make sense as part of the exercises since I need to know I have control over my own eating habits again. The only thing I'm not sure about is how long is safe. I was thinking about doing 3 days with just water and a multivitamin. Only reason I'm still going to take a vitamin is because my immune system isn't the greatest and I don't want to end up sick. I want opinions on if three days is safe, could I go longer, or should I go shorter?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Speaking as a future nurse, I don't want to rain on anyone's spiritual parade but fasting is never a good choice unless it's necessary for a medical test. Your body and brain need glucose in order to function properly. I highly recommend that you at least take in a minimal amount of calories during the days you choose to fast, in the form of unrefined carbohydrates (plain whole wheat toast for example) in order to keep your body functioning properly.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
If its for spiritual purposes then I dont recommend complete fast, why not try islams way of sunrise sunset (or since its winter...4am to 9pm)

no amount of complete fasting time is healthy for your body so be really careful. It may be a good idea for you to do a detox for a week prior so that you can be sure that when you do take complete vitamin supplements they actually get absorbed properly by the body.

Be careful.

Dabs

Registered Member
Yeah what Jeanie said,....but, I do know the human body can not go any longer than 3 days without water......so....maybe eat a healthy little sumpin sumpin and exercise too (??)

Diederick

Registered Member
I was thinking about a way to work on strengthening my willpower and working on improving strength when it comes to self control. Anyway, I came up with a spiritual project I don't want to get into detail about but part of it includes fasting. I thought that was a good choice because I normally am healthy person but the past couple months have been down and over eating. I was underweight when it started but now am probably normal weight. Anyway, I thought fasting would make sense as part of the exercises since I need to know I have control over my own eating habits again. The only thing I'm not sure about is how long is safe. I was thinking about doing 3 days with just water and a multivitamin. Only reason I'm still going to take a vitamin is because my immune system isn't the greatest and I don't want to end up sick. I want opinions on if three days is safe, could I go longer, or should I go shorter?
That multivitamin probably won't do you any good. Most of the stuff that's in those never really leaves the digestive system, except with the next deposit of waste matter dissolved in fluid. A good immune system is best gained by eating and drinking a good amount (not too much, not too little) and consuming healthy foods and drinks. Your digestive system is very important. Besides that, good spirits (as in not being depressed) and physical activity are quite mandatory as well in order to not get sick.

And if you were underweight prior to your feasting frenzy and are now normal weight, I'd think it would be a much better idea to bring your body in balance by forcing yourself to eat healthy food, mainly a lot of veggies and fruits. If you eat healthy foods and don't over or under do it, then you are on the right path in keeping your body fit. That is the kind of control you should want to attain, not the kind of control where you just stop eating for three days. The longer term is the hardest, but also the best way to go.

In my opinion.

Obsesija

Registered Member
I got the below article from ezinearticles.com, It basically says that fasting is really bad for you. I would recommend writing down everything you eat, watching portion sizes, and exercising as a better means of preventing overeating than fasting. Anyways, here is the article:

Fasting involves restricting your dietary intake to a liquid and liquid only. The liquid can be either water, tea, or fruit juice. Proponents of fasting recommend occasional regular short fasts, lasting from two to five days, as part of a general health-maintenance regimen. Advocates recommend that longer fasts for health maintenance or the healing of illness, lasting a month or more, be conducted under medical supervision.
For fasts lasting more than one week, fruit juices are given to supply the nutrients needed to maintain health. Some add enemas as part of the detoxification fasting regimen. Proponents claim that because the body is relieved of its usual chore of breaking food down into its elemental nutrients, fasting allows the body's inner resources to focus on cleansing and healing. Cleansing is said to be accomplished through the elimination of existing toxins.
Fasting claims to enhance the immune system and reduces the demands placed on it. In addition to its role as part of health maintenance, some believe that fasting is an effective way to treat illnesses, including arthritis, ulcers, heart disease, asthma, and other problems.
The ancient belief that fasting purifies the soul has been extended to the current view that fasting also can purify the body. Fasting maintains and restores health through physiological mechanisms. Included in these mechanisms are shifting physiological effort from food conversion to the elimination of toxins, reducing the immune system's workload, releasing pesticides and other chemicals from body fat, and eliminating the body of nonessential tissue.
It is helpful to look at these beliefs in terms of scientific information about the well-studied sequence of events that occurs when people start fasting. When body weight declines, water and fat, but not toxins, are lost from cells. Toxins therefore are left behind. Nutrients are needed to sustain immune competence, the ability of the body's disease-fighting immune system to make antibodies and other proteins and cells. Immune system failure, not enhancement, occurs when people do not eat enough to provide the nutrients that sustain proper immune function. Instead of reducing its workload, fasting impedes the immune system.
Advocates explain that people feel sick when fasting because toxins are leaving the body. Actually, fasting decreases the immune system's ability to destroy and eliminate toxins. Fasting also causes a drop in blood sugar levels, which causes a breakdown of tissues needed for energy. This leads people to feel sick because the brain and other tissues fail to receive needed sugars, and the body's metabolism is forced to remove the needed nutrients from muscle and liver tissue. At the same time, the liver and kidneys are not able to do their work of handling the by-products of protein breakdown.
Fasting can harm all organs. It is extremely dangerous to health, especially for those who are malnourished by chronic illness, yet some proponents recommend fasting to treat chronic illnesses. The slimmer the individual, the more dangerous a fast will be. The longer the fast, the more life-threatening it becomes. Studies show that when people reach 56% of their appropriate body weight, death occurs. The body cannot distinguish between intentional fasting and starvation.
Solid scientific research does not support the claims of fasting advocates. To the contrary, it contradicts those claims and indicates the dangers of fasting, even with water or juices. Reducing the number of calories you eat while maintaining a normal, balanced diet will reduce your weight. But consuming only water, tea, or juice is harmful, not helpful, to health and should be avoided especially by those who are ill.
Advocates believe that fasting can produce fatigue, anemia, irregular heartbeat, body aches, nausea, dizziness, and other negative effects. They refer to these as temporary problems that precede feelings of well-being, mental clarity, internal cleanliness, and other benefits.
Contrary to advocacy claims, fasting does not and cannot heal medical conditions, assist immune or other physiological function, or play a role in health maintenance. The decreased supply of blood glucose leads the body to break down muscle for energy, causing weakness, depression, fatigue, and sick feelings.

Daemonic

Registered Member
Not raining on it, fasting itself isn't part of my spirituality, I was just going to use spirituality to help me through it as part of this spiritual project. ^^

This project also isn't just about eating but proving to myself I have control over my own actions. Anyway, after reading some post I think I'm going to cut it back to 24 hours. During that time period today I will modify my project a bit and find a spiritual way to get me to exercise again every day starting tomorrow. The rest of my project is harmless to my body so it isn't even worth mentioning.

Dabs

Registered Member
You gotta eat something, even if it's a few calories.
Carrots maybe??
And drink plenty of water.
I'm not a pro by any means, you do what you gotta do, just be careful :)

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Fasting isn't healthy. Naturally, gorging isn't healthy either. You can practice and improve self control by limiting what you eat. Don't allow yourself to eat whenever you want. Keep a strict diet of certain foods, and only eat at certain times. Don't allow yourself to eat other stuff at other times no matter the cravings. You'll find it's easier to do after awhile.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Fasting isn't healthy. Naturally, gorging isn't healthy either. You can practice and improve self control by limiting what you eat. Don't allow yourself to eat whenever you want. Keep a strict diet of certain foods, and only eat at certain times. Don't allow yourself to eat other stuff at other times no matter the cravings. You'll find it's easier to do after awhile.
Actually, it's been proven that fasting in moderation can be healthy as part of a detox process. It's possible to go for several weeks without food. By that time you start to lose muscle, but you're not going to die. Of course it's always good to check with your doctor and see if you have any medical conditions that would make a fast of a certain length unsafe for you personally.

From my experience, 1 to 2 days is cake. 3 days starts to test your willpower. The most I have gone on just water is 5 days. If you did anything close to 5 days, just make sure you eat things like soup and soft foods afterwards instead of solid food right away or you can hurt yourself.