Fast charging, noncombustible batteries

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A team of engineers led by 94-year-old John Goodenough, professor in the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin and co-inventor of the lithium-ion battery, has developed the first all-solid-state battery cells that could lead to safer, faster-charging, longer-lasting rechargeable batteries for handheld mobile devices, electric cars and stationary energy storage.
https://techxplore.com/news/2017-02-lithium-ion-battery-inventor-technology-fast-charging.html

Sounds like not only will this be safer but last longer, recharge within minutes instead of hours and usable in sub zero temperatures.

A battery like this will make electric cars more attractive and safer.

I hope this can be used with the electronic cigarettes.

Thoughts?

Impaired

Registered Member
I'm still wondering about the toxicity and waste of internal combustion over batteries.

I don't think electric is nearly as clean as advertised and it would well be as bad or worse.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not sure which would be worse. You would think battery would be better especially if they can be recycled and come up with one that won't explode.

Sounds like a great idea. . . . . . .

I have a battery charger and I always recharge batteries until they no longer hold a charge, I charge them 4 hours and they last quite a long time and I charge up to 15 batteries at a time, all sized too. . . . . . .

This is the battery of the future. No joke. If anyone hears which battery makers are adopting this technology first please let me know.

I'm still wondering about the toxicity and waste of internal combustion over batteries.
Wonder no longer, these batteries will rarely if ever end up in land fill. They will be recycled. Internal combustion engines only turn 20% of the energy in gasoline into propulsion, where as electric motors use nearly 100% of the energy they draw from battery while providing superior acceleration and torque.

Once we move to turning the grid green (which battery technologies like this will really help with) electric vehicles will make gas powered vehicles virtually obsolete. Solar, wind, wave, geothermal, and biomethane power will go into the grid, then into the batteries that will power everything from your car, to your cellphone, to your home.

Last edited: