• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fascinating or strange

shelgarr

Registered Member
What is the most striking geological formation you have ever seen?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore on Lake Superior, Michigan's Upper Peninsula

The last one is called Chapel Rock. If you look close, you can see that the tree is growing right on top of that rock. It's even more impressive from the other side (the top of the cliff). The strength of that tree, the sheer determination of nature to find a way to sustain life in such a harsh environment, gave me such a feeling of inspiration, I can't even describe it with words. I must have stared at that tree for a half hour. I think that must be why it's called Chapel Rock, because it's the ultimate spot for nature worshipers like myself.

Dabs

Registered Member
Down the road from me, is a place called The Lost Sea. It's an underground lake and it's listed in the Guinness Book of World records as the largest underground lake in America. It has beautiful rock formations in the caves and you can take a boat ride thru parts of the underground waters, in a glass bottom boat. It's quite chilly down below, but it's remarkable what all lies down underneath the ground. I am enclosing a link to the place.
While I like The Lost Sea, the mountains will always hold the special place for me. I love being in the Smoky Mountains. I feel so free, and every time I go, something has changed and you capture so many awesome photographs. And in the mountains we have some great caverns too.

The History of the Lost Sea

shelgarr

Registered Member
I'm not sure this counts because it is the sun, but it did require that I be very very far north on this earth. It was when my father took me to Barrow Alaska and I got to see the midnight sun.

barrow-july-sun.jpg

uclgeogphd

Registered Member
I've seen the opposite end of the Giants Causeway where it occurs also on the Isle of Aran. Not quite as famous but at the end of the day columnar jointing is columnar jointing.

I also like the geology down at Lulworth Cove, Dorset, UK