• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fans Losing Interest in Football

Sophia

Registered Member
The NFL's ratings are down due to loss of fans. This kneeling for the national anthem thing is really taking it's toll. I, for one, believe if a million dollar player cannot respect our country enough to stand during the anthem, they should pack their bags and get out of this country. Go somewhere else and see if you can make the kind of money you are making now and have all the freedoms as you do here. That's my rant for today and I'm sticking to it.

Impaired

Registered Member
The NFL's ratings are down due to loss of fans. This kneeling for the national anthem thing is really taking it's toll. I, for one, believe if a million dollar player cannot respect our country enough to stand during the anthem, they should pack their bags and get out of this country. Go somewhere else and see if you can make the kind of money you are making now and have all the freedoms as you do here. That's my rant for today and I'm sticking to it.
I really do not understand this attitude.

In the land of free, people telling citizens to "get out" because they disagree with them is anti-freedom of speech.

I think Kaepernick is an idiot. That said, his first protest, he sat down and a soldier wrote him and asked him to kneel instead.

It is a sign of respect. Not the other way around.

Frankly, if you are FORCED to stand, then you are not free.

Impaired

Registered Member
On an added note, I think the NFL is becoming unwatchable due to commercials - I love the game, but it really is annoying that a 1 hour game takes 3 hours, 1 of which is solely so product can be sold.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In addition, I believe having games on Thursday was a bad idea (even more so that the match-ups are usually dull). One of the appeals of the NFL is that you would get two days where you can watch it – which makes you wanting more when the next Sunday comes around. Having games on Thursday’s, then on Saturday’s later on in the year is a huge turnoff for the fans.

Impaired

Registered Member
In addition, I believe having games on Thursday was a bad idea (even more so that the match-ups are usually dull). One of the appeals of the NFL is that you would get two days where you can watch it – which makes you wanting more when the next Sunday comes around. Having games on Thursday’s, then on Saturday’s later on in the year is a huge turnoff for the fans.
I agree. It waters it down. Plus the short week just makes injuries more likely.

Godsmirror

Registered Member
The NFL needs a new commissioner. He's making a real mess of things. I'm not watching this year because of work, but I still keep up with it on sports radio as much as I can. But when they start talking all this political garbage, I change the station and call them to tell them to stick with sports. F... Washington.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree. It waters it down. Plus the short week just makes injuries more likely.
Agreed – NFL is a rough sport, and to have some of these teams play of four days’ rest is so stupid. In addition, I think with everything that as come out regarding concussions, and how the NFL treats them, have been a huge turnoff for fans.

Stopping watching because some players kneel down during the National Anthem is just dumb.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
How about taking teams from cities who like their team and moving them to a SHIT HOLE like Los Angeles, California?

Nobody goes to the games there, its a piss poor market. They have alienated people in St Louis, San Diego and soon to be Oakland. No team is safe. You could try and use their guidelines and exceed them yet your team is still taken from you. Why? Money.

The whole anthem thing doesn't even bother me...you do you. There are other issues bigger than that.

Impaired

Registered Member
How about taking teams from cities who like their team and moving them to a SHIT HOLE like Los Angeles, California?

Nobody goes to the games there, its a piss poor market. They have alienated people in St Louis, San Diego and soon to be Oakland. No team is safe. You could try and use their guidelines and exceed them yet your team is still taken from you. Why? Money.

The whole anthem thing doesn't even bother me...you do you. There are other issues bigger than that.
What the Chargers did was flat out stupid. They have made every game a road game by moving to a city that doesn't care and doesn't want them.

For the anthem, I applaud players like Malcom Jenkins, who stands but with his fist raised - and then more importanly, meets with local police, gets the owner involved, gets the community involved. You know, actually doing something instead of just taking a stance and then walking away.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I, for one, believe if a million dollar player cannot respect our country enough to stand during the anthem, they should pack their bags and get out of this country. Go somewhere else and see if you can make the kind of money you are making now and have all the freedoms as you do here. That's my rant for today and I'm sticking to it.

I think others have covered the major reasons well. We're overly sensitive about everything these days, so the growing pile of head injuries isn't sitting well with some. Over saturation is definitely an issue. We recently had an incredible TNF game, but that is a super rarity. Usually they are very much like last night's game. The only Thursday games should be on Thanksgiving. And I am fine with a few Saturday primetime games at the end of the season. Football has always worked better because it's not like NHL/NBA/MLB and isn't force feeding you a shit ton of games each week. Haha.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thealigator Wrestling 9
mint_lowbatt Music 2
Rapier NFL 3
goingtopshelf Hockey 19
Alph0x Sports 0