Famlies of Virginia Tech victims offered settlements

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think the families of the Virginia Tech victims should receive money from the school?

Virginia Tech victims' families offered settlement - CNN.com

A lot of people were blaming the school for not taking steps that could have helped prevent the shooting. Others are saying that the school shouldn't be responsible, at least financially.

What do you think?

2. CMK_Eagle

CMK_Eagle Registered Member

If anyone should pay, it's the family of the shooter. Virginia Tech bears no responsibility, but they're certainly the easiest party to get the most money from.

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Wait, why? Did they teach him how to kill? Maybe I missed something in one of the twenty four million news reports on VT.

Money is just a way of trying to keep people from causing too much of a ruckus. I doubt there is a school out there right now that could effectively combat someone as nuts as Cho. You can train any civilian defense group to the point of expertise but there is not a course on Psychopaths. They're unpredictable and hard to follow.

Is this money a nice compensation? Somewhat, yeah. Will it bring their kids back? Nope.

4. CMK_Eagle

Well, I'm assuming that since he was a college student, he was probably still a dependant. Otherwise it would be his estate that would be financially responsible.

Wrongful death suits aren't about bringing the deceased back, they're about recovering lost earnings due to a premature death.

5. Merc

I wasn't talking about legally, I'm talking about the parents. Why should they be forced to pay? Isn't there a chance that they feel bad about this, too? I'd say so. If these parents are suffering themselves, how do you think they're going to feel if a bunch of people come to their door and say, "You raised a murderer, you owe us money."

Doesn't sound very fair to me.

Are they really, though? I mean, if I had a son who died a wrongful death (let's say homicide to coincide with VT), the only money I'd probably want is that for the funeral. Otherwise, I'm putting a dollar amount on my son. I wouldn't want money outside of grieving expenses.

Major likes this.
  6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree with Cons. Money does not make up for the loss of a life. The fact that there are lawsuits over this kind of thing makes me sick.

7. CMK_Eagle

Well, the topic of the thread is a legal settlement offer from VT, so it seems appropriate to begin with discussing it in those terms. As far as whether or not they should be forced to pay any restitution, I think it's fair to say that their failures as parents were a significant cause. That they're also grieving doesn't diminish their responsibility.

That's how courts decide compensatory damages in wrongful death suits.

8. Mirage

I believe in personal responsibility. The parents should be looked into, but in cases like this it's not always the parents fault either.

If anybody should pay it's the killer HIMSELF. That's impossible though so instead people go after other people and try to point fingers.

9. Merc

So you're totally comfortable in saying that every single parent who had a child that committed a serious crime is a failure? I'd be careful, you're treading on some thin ice right now. You're also comfortable throwing out the possibility that they're grief-stricken? I mean, I'd imagine thousands of people wrongfully hate them, possibly a lot more. Their son conducted an attack on fellow students and you think there's no possibility that they themselves sat around for days thinking "what went wrong?"

Your response seems a bit too cold for my tastes, CMK, and I'm usually the one who gets called cold in arguments with my buddies. I think you've made too many assumptions and ignored too much to get a real answer.

Once again, why should the parents be held responsible, especially when Cho was legally an adult and made all the decisions he did on his own when he orchestrated this attack? Let's start profiling everyone on death row and go punish all their parents, too. Doesn't that make sense? I'm just not comfortable with your assessments.

You missed what I was getting at. My question was, is compensatory payment really about "recovering earnings" or is it more about trying to break even with people who have suffered a serious personal loss?

10. Mirage

True Cons, but parents shouldn't automatically be let off the hook either. If there were clear warnings of mental issues then the parents definitely should be held somewhat responsible if they didn't seek help or do anything about it. I don't know the situation with the VA Tech shooter but I do know that the school was aware of his mental instability. In that respect the school is partially to blame, especially since his roommates weren't even told that he was mentally ill. I'd like to know that about my roommate, I don't know about the rest of you. There are plenty of people to point fingers at. Even so though, I'm not sure if any of them are "responsible" enough to the point where they should be held financially responsible for compensating the families.