• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Family members in WW1 or WW2

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Did you have any family members that where in one of the World Wars? If so, do you have any stories?

My grandfather on my mother's side was in the second World War. Apparently, he didn't like to talk about it(for good reason). All I know that he was a prisoner of war, but thankfully he was saved and freed. I saw some pictures of him in his uniform and they were so cool to watch.

How about you guys?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My grandfather was in WW1. I really don't remember him talking about it but I have a picture of him in his uniform hanging on my wall. At his funeral they gave him a 21 gun salute and I have the flag that was draped over his coffin.

Since your grandfather was a prisoner of war it was probably too painful to talk about.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
My grandfather was in the U.S. Navy during WWII. He served as a printer on his ship and was stationed in the crow's nest during battle sometimes, I think. An interesting story from that time is that he once either saw (1) a Japanese Kamikaze plane crash very close to the few ships they were in or (2) it bounced off of the water and hit part of the top of a nearby ship's deck. The story has gotten kind of mixed over the years. But it's a scary thought that it came that close. He served in the Pacific and made a book that we still look at to this day, all of the people in his ship got a copy I think. It has a bunch of photos and writing about their visits to different Asian countries. I never got a chance to ask him about the war because he passed away when I was 7 or so. I'm not sure if I would have asked him but it would have been very interesting to hear about. When I worked with older adults during a grad school internship I heard a lot of stories. I hate war but I appreciate the bravery of those who serve.

dDave

V.I.P.
I doubt that anybody has any living relatives that were in WWI, that was simply too long ago.

As for family members that fought in the World Wars, I have two.

My grandfather on my dads side was a plane mechanic in the Army Air Core back in WWII, he passed away back in 2003. I was only 10 so I didn't really get to talk with him a whole lot.

My grandfather on my moms side had gone through all pilot training and was literally on the train going to war when the war ended. Though he didn't technically get to fight he still has his uniform and is considered to be a veteran. I see him maybe once a year, that's not enough but we have a long distance between us. I have gotten to know him well over the years though and will be sad when he does eventually pass away. Luckily he is in very good health.

Wade8813

Registered Member
My grandpa on my dad's side was in the Army during WWII. He was Chinese, so apparently the US was considering sending him to China to train Chinese soldiers - but they would didn't have much, and would often be on horseback against Japanese tanks. Fortunately, the Army scrapped that plan.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Both my grandfathers were in WWII, but of course they fought on the Axis side because taiwan was occupied by Japan during that time. I'm not sure how involved they were in battle, but I know one of my grandpas had bombs go off near/around him.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
My great uncle became a full commander of the U.S.S. Cod towards the end of his career.

However, in WW2, he wasn't the full commander, but saw a lot of action while in the Navy.

I thank him as well as anyone else who fought to defend our nation.

ChaosHerald

Registered Member
My great uncle was in WWII. However, he was forced to fight for the Italians (as most Slovenians from that region), but he let himself to be captured by American forces after the battle at the Montecassino monastery. He was a prisoner of war for a few years and then he was released and reutrned home, where he also died.

The father of my mothers boyfriend, who is celebrating his 90th birthday this year in August, was also involved in WWII, but he was fighting for the partisans. He's still telling many stories, especially about the hardships they had to endure during the freezing winters with tanks rolling and looking for them and airplanes flying above them. However, he is very proud that he fought and tells all his stories with a kind of fervor that makes you feel that you are there.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
My great-grandfather was in WW2. He was a mechanic, repaired airplanes. He never talked about it too much, he saw limited action, but what he did see involved his best friends and his brother dying. I like to thank him atleast once every few months for his service.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
A hero is someone who risks his life to save others. My great uncle, as well as other WW1 and WW2 vets, are heroes because they risked it all for freedom. Without them, we might be speaking another language.