Fake prom staged to trick lesbian kids (here we go again wow)

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Critter, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Critter

Critter Registered Member

I wonder what is so wrong with these people? its sickining i now want a free vip ticket to go down there and go into teh school and just start something..

Fake prom staged to trick lesbian kids - Broadsheet - Salon.com

"
    Constance McMillen just wanted what teenage girls have dreamed about since time immemorial -- to go to the prom with the person she's dating. In McMillen's case, that person happens to be another girl. But the possibility of some same-sex jamming to "I Gotta Feeling" didn't sit too well with the folks at Mississippi's Itawamba Agricultural High School. Reasoning that no prom was better than a prom with lesbians, they abruptly canceled the whole affair last month. Cue media frenzy, ACLU lawsuit, Facebook uproar.
    After an embarrassing glare of attention on Itawamba, it seemed a happy ending was in sight. Last Tuesday, the school agreed to host an off-campus prom and told Constance she could, per her stated intention, bring her date and wear a tux. On Friday night, McMillen and her girlfriend showed up at the Fulton Country Club ready to party. There, she says, she found just seven other revelers, including two learning disabled students.
    Worse, she claims that her classmates were off doing the Macarena at an alternate event, arranged with the aid and consent of the parents and staff of her school. Speaking to the Advocate this week, McMillen said, "They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them ... everyone went to the other one I wasn't invited to."
    God knows it's no great stretch to give teens and adults credit for being ignorant douchebags, but seriously? They threw a whole other prom? What is this, an episode of "Glee"?
    Indeed, Gawker reported yesterday that they had dug up a Facebook page for one of McMillen's classmates, and lo! There were pix galore of a well-attended, corsage-riddled weekend dance event. (Even more have been neatly compiled on BruceKatz23's Flickr stream.) Unlike that legendary slumber party your best friend threw when she told you she was home alone with the mumps, however, the alternate dance wasn't a total top secret. McMillen says that she knew about the other event, but, "If I wasn't wanted there, I wasn't going to go."
    The elaborate lengths to which people will apparently go to avoid a girl in a tux are dispiriting at best, and McMillen's victory may seem to have the word "Pyrrhic" stamped all over it. But in the end, she may well have had a better prom than many of us ever did. (Non-discrimination is a right, but having crappy experiences in high school is pretty much an inevitability.) McMillen told the Advocate that the special ed kids "had the time of their lives ... That's the one good thing that came out of this, [these kids] didn't have to worry about people making fun of them."
    It may have been far from perfect, but unlike the blowout across town, that little shindig at Fulton Country Club was everything that I hope for for my own daughters, on their prom nights and their wedding days and all their lives. Because none of those other people matter. On Friday night, Connie McMillen got to walk through that door on the arm of the person she wanted to dance with."

Fake prom staged to trick lesbian kids - Broadsheet - Salon.com

School and students need to stop listen to parents and grow up.

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

This REALLY pisses me off. I can't believe they would actually do that. I would be so embarrassed if I it was me. I am completely shocked and disgusted that they would do this. What is so bad about being gay? Wearing a tux? I don't understand why they would go to such lengths just to avoid someone who likes the same sex.

We are NOT different from heterosexuals. We are the same as everyone. We can be assholes, cheaters, liars, just like any straight person can be. We can be great friends, brothers, sisters, parents! I don't fucking get it. This has made me so fucking angry.

3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

As conservative as I can be, this bothers me a lot. No matter your views on someones gender preference, they are still human and noone deserves that kind of humiliation. I feel really bad for her.

I mean really! Its not like she's wanting to start eating her date out on the dance floor. She just wants to dance and wear a tux. Bah, people are so ignorant.

4. Critter

Agree we know who it is its the school and parents are the problem

The good news is the special ed kids are not getting get tease. but this just show bulling really needs to end with school admins first than parents than students...

5. Easily-Amused

Easily-Amused http://easily-amused.com/

That is simply ridiculous. I cross-dressed to my senior formal (i wore a tailcoat, vest, top hat, cravat, the whole deal) and I looked damn good. I was fine, I danced with girls and guys and did anyone get hurt? NO.

This pisses me off.

6. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

Somehow it doesn't surprise me. I know just how much of an asshole people can be.

It's just ridiculous that people will go to this much length. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

I used to be so naive. To believe that we had actually progressed. But no we still have crap like this happen. It's just the fact that in this country and all it stands for, people can get away with it.

The staff should be punished here. But you know they won't be. Really... I can't believe I used to think that we were over this. (When I say that, I believed that at a really young age. That the homophobes were in the minority. And that I would never have to deal with them.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. Critter

Everyone saw this coming ... the school board still has to go to court last time i check.. and if this young lady wins.. she get some serious cash...

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Envy, I feel the same way, but I hate to think that we were naive to think that we had progressed. I really think we have, that this is just a setback. Ignorance is still prevalent in many places, but look at how much progress has been made.

All that said, this completely broke my heart.

9. Critter

you know i heard not log ago that in the south it was still unsafe for African Americans can walk at night..

the other thing... is without the white person dying do you think the usa would of done anything in the burning Mississippi? nope not at all...

they would of trun a blind eye. but to this day... i think Mr. King would be please to a point but at same time disappointing

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

What bothers me the most is that adults were involved in this cruelty. It baffles me that so many parents still embrace the school of intolerance and shun those they deem "different".

That being said, maybe it was a blessing in disguise that this happened. Her schoolmates may have thought they were doing something awesome and worthy of high fives for each other, but, Constance may have come out as the winner after all. Look at it this way. What would have happened if she and her date had shown up at the dance where all her classmates were? She would most likely had spent the evening pretending that being ignored, taunted, or even laughed at meant nothing to her. I'm sure she would have held her head high, but would she really have enjoyed herself? The way it turned out, she was able to do what she wanted most, spend prom with her girlfriend. She didn't have to worry about what others were whispering about, instead she could focus on the night itself. Her prom will not be defined by the people she spent the night sharing it with, instead it will be remembered because of those she didn't have to be around.