• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Faith-healer parents

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
First I want to say this is not meant to be a anti-religious thread. People are entitled to believe or worship like they want. I just want to examine why this is allowed in some states.

Some in the Christian community seem to think it is just fine to watch a child die of the flu, diabetes or any number of other things that can go wrong without ever taking that child to the doctor. They don't' think they should be required to seek medical help for their child because it is their religious belief.

To me that is child abuse. I think it is absurd to let a child die of a illness that is curable or treatable. Personally I think it should be illegal in all states. Yes, believe it or not, in some states this is legal.

As far as praying for someone to get well or having faith in God to intervene I think is just fine. I just think a doctor should go along with it when it comes to a child. Now if an adult wants to forgo treatment and totally rely on God to be healed, or not, that is their choice.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not sure how that doesn't fall under child endangerment laws. I'm all for religious freedom and people believing in faith healing and whatnot, but when it starts putting a child's health and well-being in jeopardy, then I absolutely believe it's abuse or neglect and the state should intervene.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
There's a very fine line here between what should fall under the jurisdiction of church and state. The potential for a global pandemic to get it's foothold in a community that is anti-medical is quite high. H1N1 got a strong foothold in Mexico before spreading outward, due largely to a lack of proper medical facilities and response. I do understand some wanting to refuse blood transfusion, and there's some science behind why I agree with parents having the right to do so, but with respect to common ailments for which there are tried and true cures and treatments, religious parents need to understand that God works through people much more often than through miracles. To assume that God will perform specific miracles on demand is to presume upon the will of God and even upon the manner in which he chooses to exercise it.

- Chameleon

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
To assume that God will perform specific miracles on demand is to presume upon the will of God and even upon the manner in which he chooses to exercise it.
This is how I feel about it as well. To assume that it is not God's will to cure an illness through the knowledge he gave to people that created medicines and the knowledge God gave doctors on how to apply it, to me is just narrow minded. Why does every illness have to be healed by a miracle from God? Why can't God do miracles through people every day?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Imo religious freedom stops where somebody elses freedom begins. The kids of religious parents should have the right to decide if they want prayers or a doctor to deal with their health issues.
Btw Christie Perry should turn that gun in the other direction so she can see god. Just saying.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Imo religious freedom stops where somebody elses freedom begins. The kids of religious parents should have the right to decide if they want prayers or a doctor to deal with their health issues.saying.
Children, however, are very naive, easily influenced or manipulated, and aren't always able to make the best decisions for themselves. It's not that much different to statutory rape and age of consent laws.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Committee members also heard testimony from a Boise woman caring for her 19-year-old sister after her faith-healing parents refused to treat a hole in the younger woman’s heart.

Idaho GOP’s extreme ‘parental rights’ bill opens door to Sharia law, Republican warns
Now because parents refused to take this woman to the doctor as a child she will most likely have to have a heart and double lung transplant to survive. Tax payers will get to pay for this expensive procedure.

Sad, this woman could have had a good life if not for her faith healing parents.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
It makes me wonder if any of these religious nuts, in their infinite wisdom, have ever considered that God put doctors on this Earth for a fucking reason.