• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Fairground/Amusement Rides

Bliss

Sally Twit
Do you like them?

I hate rides that go upside down. Well I say that.. I've never actually been on one because I was always too scared.

I love rides like Ghost Trains, Log Flumes, Pirate Ships, Waltzers and Rapids. But I've never been able to bring myself to try out a rollercoaster.
Whenever friends suggest going to places like Alton Towers I always turn them down because I'd hate to be the only one not going on every single ride lol. And I don't want to be the friend holding all the coats!

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
I love extreme rides. Like Air, and Nemesis at alton towers. When we did the UK meetup, we all did Nemesis twice we loved it that much. And we sat at the very front. I'm not really a fan of the vertical drop ones, but I still get on them to conquer the fear kinda thing.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I used to be a huge fan of rollercoasters, but I haven't been on one in over 10 years. My ex and I actually took a road trip to Pittsburgh just to go to Kennywood, because it had 2 of the top 10 coasters in the world. I used to go to Cedar Point every summer but I haven't been since the Millenium was new. I don't really like the swing-type rides that go upside-down, but I love coasters that go upside-down.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I've been on some wild rides. I'm absolutely terrified when I'm on them, but the adrenaline rush is just too much to pass up lol. I'm okay with the ones that go really fast and really high. IT's when they turn upside down while high up and going fast that it sets me on edge. I know the ride is safe, but I can't help but to expletive as i flip around lol.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I love extreme rides. Like Air, and Nemesis at alton towers. When we did the UK meetup, we all did Nemesis twice we loved it that much. And we sat at the very front. I'm not really a fan of the vertical drop ones, but I still get on them to conquer the fear kinda thing.
Haha yeah, I was going to say that I love them all except the ones where nothing is going on bar a huge drop (i.e. Oblivion at AT) but I'll go on it when encouraged (*ahem* forced :lol:). I love the loopy/upside-down/fast ones.

I don't really like most smaller fairground rides though. They tend to make me woozy and they don't always look totally safe, lol.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Pretty much what bex said. I get woozy on the smaller ones. I once was at Busch Gardens and we went on a ride called "Phoenix" (yes, the only reason i rode it was so I could say I rode "Phoenix.") But it made me really nauseous. It was a swing that went upside down. And it was like a boat swinging. Horrible.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I hate the rides that go straight up and back down, like the Power Tower at Cedar Point. I could barely even stomach the kid's version of it at the last fair I took my daughter to, and she wanted to go on it over and over. I don't like ferris wheels either.

Impact

V.I.P.
I don't really like most smaller fairground rides though. They tend to make me woozy and they don't always look totally safe, lol.
I don't know how it is in the UK, or US, but the fair that came to town each year back in NZ had to have their rides certified once a year. I felt pretty safe on them because we did the certifications and repairs at work, so I knew exactly how well they worked haha

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I used to hate them, but I've slowly become accustomed to them now. I think I always consider the dreadful event of a ride breaking down, or derailing or something. I mean, I'd be brown bread before I knew it most likely, but it don't fill me with confidence.
Nonetheless, so I don't look like a complete pussy I get on them. And some of them have been pretty fun.

Nemesis was a great ride. Especially like the red water stuff when you're in the queue. It was surprisingly comfy as far as a knee jolting thrill ride goes.
Also went on the 'Saw:The Ride' - which beyond the stupid Saw themed queue with shotgun above head and screaming idiots, and Jigsaw's face on crappy 2' TVs - the ride itself was fucking terrifying. Especially the vertical up and down bit. And the fact there's a bit inside the building, so you don't expect it.

As for actual fairs I'm not too fussed about going to them. They're often in the middle of Autumn around here when it's freezing. And they charge you about one million pounds to have three seconds worth of fun. They don't seem worth it, and also the rides look like they're dropping to pieces.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I love rollercoasters but have to stop riding them 10 years ago since my vertigo episodes (advised not to rock my head so much). I still do want to tempt it one of these days (if I can afford to be sick after). So now I just don't go much to amusement parks coz the rest of the rides appear boring for me. I also dislike those that go round and round (even before my vertigo episodes).